Talk

Advanced search

DD (13) wants some new reading material.

(45 Posts)
EccentricaGallumbits Mon 13-Jul-09 22:30:01

But thinks most of my stuff is too disturbing/boring.
I have a million different sorts of books so hopefully have something to tempt her.

She didn't like the sound of Daphne Dumaurier but was tempted with Agatha Christie. Wants to read My Sisters Keeper but that's the only Picoult I haven't got. She loved The Time Traveller's Wife. I steered her away from Jilly Cooper. She didn't want to try any 'classics'.

Any Ideas?

whispywhisp Tue 14-Jul-09 11:20:29

Bumping this for you because I have a similar problem...my eldest DD who is just coming up for 11yrs old is at that inbetween stage....finds most of the books for her age group boring and too young for her yet the type of books I have are far too old for her! Hope you get some helpful replies!

bruffin Tue 14-Jul-09 11:37:36

Has she read Star Girl

My DD 11 adored this book

seeker Tue 14-Jul-09 11:43:59

My dd is going through a ChickLit phase - she's read all the Katie Ffoords, and at the moment, she is really enjoying The Wedding Shoes by Adriana Tartaglia (I think that's the name) She also enjoyed most of the Anne McCaffery Dragon books.

She needs "3 books outside her comfort zone" for homework holiday reading - so I'll be starting a thread about that soon!

sphil Tue 14-Jul-09 11:53:06

'A Gathering Light' by Jennifer Donnelly is great.

I guess she's already done the Northern Lights trilogy - or the Abhorsen books by Garth Nix if she likes 'other worldly' fiction? Or the Mortal Engines trilogy by Philip Reeve? All similar in genre.

I enjoyed Kate Morton's books - The House at Riverton and another one with 'garden' in the title (which was my favourite altho I've forgotten it!) and they have a simialr structure to TT's Wife in that the chapters are written from different viewpoints.

arolf Tue 14-Jul-09 12:01:08

does she like crime fiction at all? I loved the Sherlock Holmes books, and (bizarrely) anything by Dick Francis - good stories, and no disturbing torture or sex scenes in them (unlike most current crime fic, which even I find disturbing at nearly 30!).

whispywhisp Tue 14-Jul-09 12:08:38

sphil - The Forgotten Garden?!!

bruffin Tue 14-Jul-09 12:14:06

Actually just a thought you said she didn't like the sound of Daphne Dumaurier but the House on The Strand is very similar to The Time Travellers Wife

sphil Tue 14-Jul-09 14:32:12

Pmsl that I'd forgotten The Forgotten Gardengrin

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 14-Jul-09 14:38:35

What about science fiction - does she like?
Anne McCaffrey?
Douglas Coupland?
Douglas Adams?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 14-Jul-09 14:43:17

This old thread has some good stuff on it.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 14-Jul-09 14:46:37

This is a great thread too.

neversaydie Tue 14-Jul-09 15:26:23

Try Robin McKinley - fantasy with good strong female characters. Start with The Blue Sword.

Thinking back, I also remember devouring Georgette Heyer at this sort of age. Much disapproved of by my parents, but having gone back to them recently they are pretty well written, and the history is accurate.

She may also enjoy John Wyndham, Harper Lee (To kill a Mocking Bird), John Masters (colonial India through the ages - good strong stories and again the history is good, albeit rather one-sided), Neville Shute (A Town like Alice). Even if your local library doesn't have them on the shelves, they will almost certainly be able to retrieve them from somewhere. A bonus with a lot of these books is that although they were written for adults, it was long enough ago that they are not too explicit, which for a 13 year old may be an advantage.

janeite Tue 14-Jul-09 16:41:10

She might like 'I Capture The Castle' - dd1 enjoyed it a couple of years ago.

Meg Rosoff writes for teenagers and isn't as great as she's made out to be but 'How I Live Now' is an interesting coming of age novel.

DD1 enjoyed The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time and The Book Thief; also To Kill A Mocking Bird.

nickelbabe Tue 14-Jul-09 17:09:47

my sister's keeper had me weeping from cover to cover - i think that's disturbing enough.

My recommendation is The Hunger Games by Suzanne collins (9781407109084)
it's set in post-apocalyptic america where 2 children from each of 12 districts are forced to compete in an arena where only one can survive- kill or be killed for entertainment of the nation, basically - it's a teenage book, so not overly disturbing but it has got a bit of violence in it.
luckily the main characters are thoroughly decent kids, so it's got a bit of a feel good vibe to it too.

actually, i'd recommend this book (first in a trilogy : No 2 comes out in september) to anyone as it's mega mega brilliant.
grin

your 13 yo will love it.

babyignoramus Thu 23-Jul-09 20:15:05

Has she tried Terry Pratchett? I'm sure I was about her age when I discovered him. I'll second Garth and Philip Pullman. Neil Gaimen is awesome too. He wrote Coraline which was recently in the cinema.

I enjoyed The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan -she also wrote the Age of Five trilogy although that's slightly more adult. If she fancies a bit of chick lit that is actually quite good shock, try Melissa Nathan.

And of course, this may be obvious, but has she read Twilight? I get the impression this has gone down rather well with teenage girls....grin.

AnnVan Thu 23-Jul-09 20:22:52

I would second recommendations of Terry Pratchett - I was 13 when I started reading that.
Has she read any of Diana Wynne Jones's stuff? THey're generally good even if a little on the bizarre side.
Susan Cooper might be good too - she did The Dark is Rising, but another good one she wrote is called Dawn of Fear (about boys growing up during WW2)
Good Night Mister Tom is fantastic.
Also books by Machael morpurgo.
Tom's Midnight garden I loved
She could also try the series beginning with Eragon (christopher Paolini)
Nina Bawden's books might be good too.
If she's quite mature she could cope with Twilight, although the final book gets a little on the graphic side.

januarysnowdrop Thu 23-Jul-09 20:32:00

I think I enjoyed Joan Aiken books at her age (although maybe I was a bit younger, can't remember), also Antonia Forest. Might be a bit dated now, but ever so good.

skidoodle Thu 23-Jul-09 20:32:59

Books I rememer loving at 13 are The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck) and Wuthering Heights.

Jane Austen brill at this age too.

BikeRunSki Thu 23-Jul-09 20:38:11

I Capture The Castle - Dodie Smith
The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

These were my early teen staples. I also got into 1984!

When I was about 16 I LOVED "Now I Know" by Aidan Chambers - I read it at least once a year for about 10 years, and still do occassionally. I even wrote to the author, and still have his reply.

janeite Fri 24-Jul-09 17:03:49

Dd1 has read all of Austen's in the past year (she's now 14) and liked them all except Mansfield Park. She's read Twilight and the follow-ups but didn't think too much to them: dd2 (12) is reading them now).

Dd1 is also (to my shame!) quite fond of Sophie Kinsella at the moment. She also liked To Kill A Mocking Bird.

cheapskatemum Fri 31-Jul-09 22:47:53

I recently read & really enjoyed "The London Eye Mystery", which is aimed at children.

janeite Sat 01-Aug-09 12:48:46

The London Eye Mystery is okay - but very, very similar to The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nightime.

tillyfernackerpants Sat 01-Aug-09 13:36:03

At her age I was reading Daphne Du Maurier, Stephen King & Virginia Andrews, not sure if any of them will appeal?

Someone mentioned Neil Gaiman, he also wrote Stardust which was in the cinemas not that long ago. Book better than the film imo

What about Isabel Allende? Some of her books are aimed at teenagers (City of the Beasts, Kingdom of the Golden Dragon, Forest of the Pygmies). Or Margaret Atwood, A Handmaid's Tale?

cheapskatemum Mon 03-Aug-09 20:55:45

I totally disagree with janeite that it's very similar to Curious Incident &, of the 2, I preferred London Eye. The, to me, gratuitous swearing in Curious Incident really puts me off recommending it to younger readers. DS2 has ASD & often does "odd" things while we're out and looks perfectly normal, but no-one has ever,yet, responded with a stream of expletives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now