Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would love to read some crime fiction/mystery any recommendations?

(28 Posts)
ilovespinach Sun 12-Jul-09 19:27:43

Title says it all Looking for some crime/mystery recommendations....

thanks

Babbity Sun 12-Jul-09 19:28:30

Have you read the Erast Fadorin novels by Boris Akunin? - they're great.

ilovespinach Sun 12-Jul-09 19:32:38

No I haven't - not read much in this genre which is one of the reasons why I would like to read some more. Only so much Chick Lit and Richard and Judy picks a girl can take

wrinklytum Sun 12-Jul-09 19:33:26

I love crime fiction.

Favourites include Ian Rankin (I have quite a crush on Rebus).Michael Connelly is good.
Both excellent anti-hero main characters.

I am currently enjoying the Dexter series for out there humour and good one liners.(Main character is a serial killer on the side of law and order)

Lots more,could go on.The best thing is to gog to your library and peruse the crime/thriller section

wrinklytum Sun 12-Jul-09 19:35:03

Gog?I mean go.

It depends what you want,police proceedural,psychological thriller,gory forensic science stuff,lighthearted stuff.Tis a wide genre.

Northernlurker Sun 12-Jul-09 19:36:08

Sara Paretsky - chicago woman detective - contemporary

Lindsay Davis - ancient roman male detective

Margery Allingham - 1920s, 30s and 40s male detective

Dorothy L Sayers - ditto

Joan Smith - 1980s and 90s female detective

Val Mcdermid - the wire in the blood, the mermaids singing etc are pretty grisly tbh but she has also done a series featuring Kate Brannigan - contemporary woman detective in Manchester which are very good and won't give you nightmares.

hf128219 Sun 12-Jul-09 19:36:39

Ah yes, Rebus is a hunk!

AvengingGerbil Sun 12-Jul-09 19:50:26

James Lee Burke for beautifully-written depressing Deep South Louisiana hard-boiled crime.

Carl Hiaasen for comic eco-crime in the Floria Everglades.

girlsyearapart Sun 12-Jul-09 19:52:37

Tess Gerritsen- forensic examiner/detective/mytery type books. Not too gory. Look for series with Rizzoli an d Isles.
Kate Atkinson- Jackson Brodie trilogy.
Simon Kernick- one called Deadline other called sEvered I think. Gripping mystery stuff.
Also good writers I like Sophie Hannah and Emily Barr which are a sort of cross between chick lit and mystery.
Another good one which was potentially by Peter James starts off with a stag do gone wrong.
Blimey I've got 2 kids under 2 how have I managed to read so much?? << girlsyearapart puts book down and goes to check kids are still in their cots..>>

Noooie Sun 12-Jul-09 19:52:40

I love The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, and all the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books, quite gentle but lovely to read. The End of Mr Y was spectacular but (might just be me) slightly confusing half way through!

treacletart Sun 12-Jul-09 19:58:04

I gave suspicions of mr wicher to my parents last year and they both reckoned it was fantastic! Neither of them read crime fiction normally but neither of them could put it down.

Antdamm Sun 12-Jul-09 19:58:27

I love crime fiction

My faves are :-

Patricia Cornwell - female lead, medical examiner. Lots of details. Autopsies etc.

Kathy Reichs - Also female lead, forensic anthropologist this time. Deals with old cases and new cases.

Karen Rose - very good series with scream for me, die for me, kill for me and others too.

Tess Gerritsen - very detailed descriptions, very medical, gory.

Cory McFadyen - Female FBI agent. Serial killers.

Karen Slaughter - small town doctor and sherrif are leads. Books in a series. Serial killer

Some others, still very good.

Simon Kernick - Relentless
Stuart MacBride - Flesh House
Lisa Gardner - she has 3 main characters running through most, if not all of her books.
Michael Marshall - the straw men.
Greg Iles - 24 hours is good and not gory

Hope some of those help

Sidge Sun 12-Jul-09 20:00:41

My favourites are:

Lee Child
Dennis Lehane
Kathy Reichs
Janet Evanovich
Michael Connolly
Robert Crais

AliBaba40 Sun 12-Jul-09 20:02:31

I'm not generally a big crime/mystery book lover but have just read two very different ones, both of which I've really enjoyed:

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale - about a real life murder of a young child in a Victorian country house. It's surprisingly gripping, especially for a factual book. It also has lots of references to/comparisons with detective fiction of the era (eg. Wilkie Collins, Sherlock Holmes etc) as the title character was an inspiration for some of those detective characters. As a book junkie I rather enjoyed that, but it could be annoying if you're not familiar with any of those books.

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson - not one mystery but three (two murders and a missing child), which end up intertwining. A word of warning - don't start reading it before bedtime as the first few chapters don't lend themselves to a good night's sleep. I made the mistake of reading it a couple of days after DD #2 arrived when I was still very hormonal and found it quite traumatic! (Of course it would probably would be fine if you're not immediately post-natal wink)

smugmumofboys Sun 12-Jul-09 20:02:50

I don't read books in this genre but loved The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. It's a Victorian mystery/thriller which I recommended to my book club. Everyone loved it.

Antdamm Sun 12-Jul-09 20:03:01

Second Peter James - looking good dead, dead mans footsteps

simon beckett - written in bone

kathryn fox - set in australia, lady doctor works in a womens rape centre.

Meg Gardiner - evan delaney main character. Lots of mystery and intrigue, government involvement.

Antdamm Sun 12-Jul-09 20:12:27

forgot to mention

Dean Koontz - the taking, velocity the Odd series are very good.
He does a lot of Science fiction/fantasy type stuff involving the paranormal, but all of his books i have read, and I have read about 50 of them (with the exception of one - cold ice or something similar which was rubbish) have been excellent. Intensity was a very very good book, but its awash with paranormal goings on.

MeAndMyMonkey Sun 12-Jul-09 20:13:00

old school but fabulous:

Agatha Christie - (mostly)all
Patricia Highsmith (esp Talented Mr Ripley)
Josephine Tey - The franchise affair

drinkyourmilk Sun 12-Jul-09 20:20:33

I mostly read this genre, i'd say it depends what you are looking for.

For a lighter read try the Janet Evanovich novels - pretty funny, and a little saucy.

christie2 Sun 12-Jul-09 23:55:43

Ian Rankin is fabulous.I like Martha Grimes, the older ones are the best to start with. Sara Paretsky is good too.

ilovespinach Mon 13-Jul-09 10:16:52

wow thanks for all the suggestions!!!

I've noticed I've even read some of these - some Patricia Highsmith, Dean Koontz

I have Case Histories on my bookshelf waiting to be read and will pick that up next once I have finished my current book (The Queens Fool by Philippa Gregory - not very good).....

midnightexpress Mon 13-Jul-09 10:19:30

I'm not a crime fiction fan, but read a couple of the Wallander ones by Henning Mankell after some of them were televised recently and quite enjoyed them.

Second Wilkie Collins too - The Moonstone and The Woman in White are both great.

ZacharyQuack Mon 13-Jul-09 10:44:31

Love crime fiction. Some favourites :

Robert Crais - Elvis Cole series
John Connolly
Michael Connelly
Lee Child
John Sandford - Lucus Davenport series
Janet Evanovich - particularly the first seven
Steve Hamilton

Pyrocanthus Mon 13-Jul-09 10:46:51

Blimey, Rebus isn't a hunk inside my head. Love him though.

HuffwardlyRudge Mon 13-Jul-09 10:47:43

I've just discovered Christopher Brookmyre. Nifty plots, very funny, easy to read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now