Talk

Advanced search

Who plays your Mr Rochester?

(26 Posts)
HuffwardlyRudge Sun 12-Jul-09 18:02:06

I am reading Jane Eyre (for the first time).

I cannot get a mental picture of Mr Rochester from the descriptions in the book.

Which actor would you have playing Mr Rochester?

(Don't spoil the end for me. I'm just under half way through).

saintmaybe Sun 12-Jul-09 18:07:20

Alan Rickman

But it's pretty much always Alan Rickman

Threadworm2 Sun 12-Jul-09 18:11:42

I really, really can't picture him as good looking, which is a shame. I'm afraid I get something like Gordon Brown. If I could control my imagination it would be ... um some sort of rough version of Ralph Feinnes.

UnquietDad Sun 12-Jul-09 18:19:54

He was Timothy Dalton in the BBC version, which seems to fit somehow.

The older film version has Susannah York as Jane, who never seemed right to me.

janeite Sun 12-Jul-09 18:22:17

Lol at 'It's pretty much always Alan Rickman' Yes, I think he'd be good. But I really liked the chap they had in the recent TV version.

shonaspurtle Sun 12-Jul-09 18:23:33

He's Timothy Dalton for me too. That was a good adaptation.

donnie Sun 12-Jul-09 18:24:33

Alan Bates would be good, IMO - or Richard Burton. Someone quite craggy and gruff with a bit of stuffing.

Threadworm2 Sun 12-Jul-09 18:25:48

Who would be a good Jane? Do you remember Holly Hunter in The Piano? I'll never forget her in that -- it makes her seem like an ideal Jane. Fragile and tiny but strong and stubborn as a stone.

HuffwardlyRudge Sun 12-Jul-09 18:29:43

You see that was my problem Threadworm. I had someone a bit Gordon Brownish and I was worried that I was going to have to believe a love story at some point (have I got that wrong? Actually, don't tell me) and it just wouldn't work. Particularly as I am reading Beauty and the Beast to dd approx. 18 times a day at the moment and when I switch straight from B&tB to JE, mt Jane gets very Belleish. Belle and Gordon Brown? Eek.

Some good suggestions on this thread! Mmmmmm. Alan Rickman.

HuffwardlyRudge Sun 12-Jul-09 18:30:42

"...my Jane gets very Belleish..."

Threadworm2 Sun 12-Jul-09 18:32:22

mmmmhmm hmnmn herwanh bytm

--That's me wanting to talk to you about the story Huffwardly, but stuffing hankies into my mouth to avoid spoilers.

grin

shonaspurtle Sun 12-Jul-09 18:34:55

Oooooh you're so lucky to be reading it for the first time. envy I do love that book.

Alan Rickman's a bit slight for me. I imagine Rochester as physically strong and imposing <fans self>

Yeeeees GB, but better looking, taller and less stodgy. And not Scottish. (so not at all really hmm)

FfreckleFface Sun 12-Jul-09 18:35:15

I always think that Richard Armitage would be good. I agree with Alan Rickman too. Or maybe Sean Bean, if he were darker?

snigger Sun 12-Jul-09 18:38:17

I could see Daniel Day-Lewis or at a push Gary Oldman about ten years ago fitting my mental Mr Rochester ideal.

shonaspurtle Sun 12-Jul-09 18:38:56

YYYYY to RA! <fans more vigorously>

snigger Sun 12-Jul-09 18:40:23

And if he could master the accent and was a lot older, Jake Gyllenhall. He could muster the brooding eyebrows, I think.

slowreadingprogress Sun 12-Jul-09 18:50:45

I think Sean Bean would be brilliant.

<sigh>

HuffwardlyRudge Sun 12-Jul-09 18:53:10

But you're all naming good looking men and it keeps saying he isn't handsome.

moffat Sun 12-Jul-09 18:56:29

Timothy Dalton or Russell Crowe

lottiejenkins Sun 12-Jul-09 19:00:18

Def def def def Toby Stephens !!! He did a fabulous job!

janeite Sun 12-Jul-09 19:00:44

Rickman isn't really good looking though: I imagine that Jane would need to talk to a Rickmanalike in order to fall in love, rather than love at first sight - so he'd be fine.

How old is Rochester?

janeite Sun 12-Jul-09 19:01:20

Toby Stephens? Is he the one in the recent TV version? I thought he was excellent.

HuffwardlyRudge Sun 12-Jul-09 19:03:47

Isn't he mid 30s?

lottiejenkins Sun 12-Jul-09 19:06:05

Toby Stephens was 40 on the 21st April, he is exactly a week younger than me!

hocuspontas Sun 12-Jul-09 19:10:37

Yes, Rickman definitely although it's hard to get Orson Welles out of my head. Jane - Helena Bonham-Carter? She's waif-like enough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now