Talk

Advanced search

Shantaram , I have just finished it and thought it was excellent

(20 Posts)
travellingwilbury Mon 29-Jun-09 14:01:29

Has anybody else read this ?

I finished reading it a couple of days ago and just keep thinking about it .

It is the first book I have read and loved for a long time .

paisleyleaf Mon 29-Jun-09 14:03:29

I loved this book. Took me about 3 months though.
But it was really, really good. I got really involved in it.

(I think I read something about Jonny Depp buying the film rights - so could be a film to look forward to)

travellingwilbury Mon 29-Jun-09 14:08:00

I am glad someone else liked it as much as I did . It has really stuck with me .

It would make a brilliant film . And of course Johnny Depp would be good to watch .

flyingcloud Mon 29-Jun-09 14:55:27

Loved it - it stayed with me too, have recommended it to lots of friends who have loved it. It's a great story, whatever bits are true or made up.

Yup! really, really loved it and am waiting for a good moment to re-read.

fluffles Mon 29-Jun-09 14:57:14

yes, i really liked it too - and don't care what is true and what is not, it's a damn good read.

surreylady Mon 29-Jun-09 15:47:42

reading it currently enjoying it but wishing it was shorter, there are so many sub plots etc that I think it would make a very good normal length novel.

travellingwilbury Mon 29-Jun-09 16:32:04

surreylady , I felt like that but by the end I was wishing it was longer .

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Mon 29-Jun-09 16:44:56

Oh, i LOVED this book. I actually felt quite down when i finished it. I did feel it ended without "closure" though - but thats real life for you, although it was only "based on truth". I thought i wouldn't like it, thought it would be all arty farty and "finding yourself" type novel. I guess it was, but with quite a twist - it had quite an affect on me actually.

I loved all the sub plots.

Horton Mon 29-Jun-09 18:26:30

I adored it too. I read it while I was in India which made it particularly gripping. Really good story-telling.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Mon 29-Jun-09 18:28:08

envy horton

Horton Mon 29-Jun-09 18:57:14

Heh, sorry! It was pre-child. I don't anticipate going to India again for a very long time, if ever!

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Mon 29-Jun-09 19:26:22

never say never horton!! that envy emoticon looks too grumpy, i meant it in a nice way!

JackBauer Mon 29-Jun-09 20:02:12

Oh I loved Shantaram, I keep it in my room by the window so if I have a free half hour I sit and open at random.

chaya5738 Mon 29-Jun-09 20:07:21

I am sorry but I hated it. I found the language really forced and pretentious and stopped reading part way through. But perhaps I should give it another try. Tell me what you loved about it.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Mon 29-Jun-09 20:30:35

I know what you mean about the language chaya, i did struggle with this at first. I wonder if that is first novel syndrome? But what i loved about it was the characters - i adored Prabaker and Johnny Cigar. I did find some bits a bit "own trumpet blowing", but this was balanced by some pretty ugly home truths i guess. The guy i didn't like was Didier, i thought he was mercinary but perhaps that is because we didn't really get to know what made him tick.

paisleyleaf Mon 29-Jun-09 20:37:33

That journey to Prabaker's home village (I think it was chap 5)..........I was crying laughing!

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Mon 29-Jun-09 20:44:44

yes, that was good - really upbeat.

Horton Mon 29-Jun-09 22:17:11

The bit I loved most (and maybe this was because I was actually in India so it really made sense) was the bit about the head-wobbling. I could see exactly what he meant.

maynotbeperfect, no worries! I didn't take it in a grumpy way. I'm rather jealous of the person who travelled to the jungle to meet elephants and lounged around on a beach fringed by coconut palms drinking fresh watermelon juice myself. Particularly as I have spent the day attempting to cool/calm down a very fractious and heat-stricken toddler.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Tue 30-Jun-09 10:50:04

oh yes, the head waggling, that cracked me up. But it seems to be quite a significant thing - what did me though was the thought of all those mafia bosses sitting around the table waggling their heads in agreement - a peaceful action. LMAO!

Horton Tue 30-Jun-09 16:15:49

Yes, great image!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now