Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Come and tell me about the books which have caused your best Book Group discussions!

(10 Posts)

I've been thinking about how the best books we've read for our book group are not necessarily the best books that I've ever read, yet they have made for fabulous discussions, and likewise there are loads of books that I love which just do not generate any discussion.

Some of our best ones:

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - controversial, very split opinions on it

The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing - we all liked it, but every single one of us had a slightly different take on it

Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee

Faith Fox by Jane Gardam - a deceptively simple story which kept us going for ages!

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Atonement by Ian McEwan - most interesting because the men in the group (that was back when we had some!) read it totally differently to the women

Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry

There are more, but those are ones which stand out.

So, come and share your book club's titles which have read to the best discussions!

potatofactory Tue 16-Jun-09 20:28:33

Hilary Mantel - Beyond Balck

Engleby - Sebastian Faulks

The Road - Cormac McArthy

potatofactory Tue 16-Jun-09 20:29:10

BLACK. Beyond BLACK smile

uptomyeyes Tue 16-Jun-09 20:32:02

The Handmaid's tale - Margaret Attwood.

merryberry Tue 16-Jun-09 20:44:39

Everything ravaged, everything burned by Wells Tower. Short stories so made a change (loved and loathed). About men, but different.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 16-Jun-09 20:47:46

The Uncommon Reader - Alan Bennett

The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald

The Book Thief - Markus Zuzak

Oooh, we've been thinking about The Great Gatsby for our Christmas Classic. Will it really generate lots of discussion? I mean, would people have differing opinions on it (have never read it myself, much to my blush )

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Wed 17-Jun-09 16:23:00

I think so, Hope. When I saw the film in the 70s [elderly Robert Redford fan] I thought it was so romantic but with age and maturity I've come to see what a bleak story it is. There's lots there about love, constancy, wealth, racial attitudes and (not least) The American Dream. I was blown away - it had taken me 30 years to get around to reading it and was so glad that I had!

Rhubarb Wed 17-Jun-09 16:26:11

Preston Pig.

cheapskatemum Sat 20-Jun-09 15:05:24

The Life of Pi - we actually talked about the book for a change!

Also, Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now