Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dragonfly in Amber - does ANYTHING EVER HAPPEN?

(7 Posts)

On recommendation from loads of MNers, I got myself Outlander and LOVED it. It was fabulous. Oh and Jamie...sigh...

But I am really struggling through the second one. It's so much faffing around with Prince Charles and things which are just Not Interesting. I'm over halfway through and not sure I have the will to continue.
Does anything interesting ever happen? What happened to the whole Claire time-travelling thing? There was a little bit at the beginning and then nothing. It's become a rather dull romantice history novel, which is not at all what I like.

Is is worth going on? And is the third one better?

I take it the lack on responses means no!

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Mon 15-Jun-09 12:27:45

Oh no- don't give up!!

I agree the Prince Charles bits are a bit dull but the whole book is worth persevering with- if only so that when you get to start Voyager you won't have to wonder about the sequence of some events/characters etc.

Hmm.

Have not read these for a while- I can feel a Jamie-fest coming on......

Thanks for the response, PRSB (excellent name, by the way )
There just seems to be so much detail about stuff that isn't very interesting and isn't really going anywhere with the story. All the stuff about the ships and the wine/port and the cargoes etc and the endless dinner parties where nothing happens.
And now suddenly, Claire appears to have lost the baby and doesn't want to see Jamie any more, but it's all so...pfff..so undramatic and sort of dull!
The first book I could not put down, I love it, and I really enjoyed the time-travelling twist. But now, she seems to have totally forgotten that she's not from that time, apart from mentions of the tedious Frank, it's never brought up.

But I will persevere! If only in the hope that Voyager is better...

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Mon 15-Jun-09 13:01:46

grin

Oh Voyager is definitely better!

But there are some very good bits in Dragonfly- but obviously I'm not going to tell you what they are.

grin

Ah, so there are some good bits coming? Good to know!

dalek Mon 15-Jun-09 15:29:04

I read these ages ago and I seem to remember thinking that the second one was a bit "setting the scene" for the third one - persevere though as they are good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now