Talk

Advanced search

Off on holiday 28 weeks PG - nice reads please

(9 Posts)
bratnav Wed 10-Jun-09 20:57:54

My brain is fried and I can't seem to cope with anything too tricky at the moment, but want nice engrossing books to read by the pool for the 2 hours a day that the DDs will (hopefully) be in kids club.

Recently read The Time Travellers Wife and loved it, I am at about Freya North/Jill Mansell/Jilly Cooper sort of level at the moment, not much more intellectual than those please.

GentlyDidIt Wed 10-Jun-09 21:09:25

Whistling for the Elephants by Sandy Toksvig - sweet and funny, with just enough food for thought...

bratnav Wed 10-Jun-09 21:17:50

Lovely, will look that up, thanks Gently

Katryn Thu 11-Jun-09 09:02:27

You may want to try my novel, for a good easy engrossing read, I've been told by friends that it's hard to put down, The Seven Year Itch, published by Penguin by Kate Morris

milaha Thu 11-Jun-09 09:21:57

Some great holiday authors I've enjoyed are - Cathy Kelly, Monica McInerney, Melissa Nathan, Anna Maxted, Maggie Alderson, Marian Keyes and Kate Jacobs.

bratnav Thu 11-Jun-09 14:19:25

Thanks, will look them up smile

Katryn - yours as in you wrote it?

wrongsideof40 Thu 11-Jun-09 21:28:46

have you read A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian ? or Two caravans ? by Monica someone - both very good. Easy reads but not unliterary IMO

JenCp Fri 12-Jun-09 13:43:43

lovely holiday read
Not too heavy/too light; current; laugh out loud funny; (also made me cry - hormones?!) Real page turner. If you like Maggie Alderson/Freya North/Kathleen Tessaro, you might like: The Shoe Princess's Guide to the Galaxy (Emma Bowd, Bloomsbury). Happy hols smile

Katryn Sat 11-Jul-09 00:25:18

Yes I wrote it, and you're probably back from holiday by now! Kathleen Tessarro (someone mentioned) has endorsed it on the front cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now