Talk

Advanced search

Looking for a really funny book- funny haha not funny peculiar !

(73 Posts)
macherie Wed 03-Jun-09 21:14:21

Need a bit of light relief - what book made you laugh out loud?

badgermonkey Wed 03-Jun-09 21:18:28

Three Men in a Boat - the one book I recommend to everyone!

Or Bill Bryson - Notes from a Small Island is fab.

janeite Wed 03-Jun-09 21:19:27

I have two words for you -
Bill Bryson.

cocolepew Wed 03-Jun-09 21:23:11

Bill Bryson, Spike Milligans war years books, Carl Haissen (sp?) and Janet Evanovitch.

francagoestohollywood Wed 03-Jun-09 21:23:29

PG Wodehouse. Anything with Jeeves.

cocolepew Wed 03-Jun-09 21:23:57

Oh and Harlan Corben and Nelson De Mille.

tiredemma Wed 03-Jun-09 21:24:50

Peter Kay

I must look at these Bill Bryson books- what are they about?

cocolepew Wed 03-Jun-09 21:27:11

Most of them are travel books, his last was about his childhood,

janeite Wed 03-Jun-09 21:28:44

Ooh - Peter Kay makes my skin crawl and I really can't find him amusing in any way.

Because of that, I'm not sure whether I should tell you about Bill bryson, as he is a totally different kind of funny to the way Kay is 'allegedly' funny. Sorry!

Bryson writes mainly travel books but also books of 'essays' or articles on anything and everything. He is just so lovely and personable and self-deprecating and has the ability to sum up in one word the feelings/history/concept he is discussing in a way which makes you shoot coffee out of your mouth at totally inopportune moments. I would happily marry the man!

Mintyy Wed 03-Jun-09 21:29:16

What you need is The Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle, and I'd suggest you start with The Van. Honestly, they are cracking grin.

janeite Wed 03-Jun-09 21:29:36

Imagine Rowan Atkinson saying 'Bob' and then multiply it to novel-length - that is Bill Bryson!

AnarchyAunt Wed 03-Jun-09 21:35:24

Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About by Mil Millington?

Janet Evanovich is fab and v funny.

EachPeachPearMum Wed 03-Jun-09 21:40:29

Bill Bryson ... hands off Janeite! grin even the 'leg raising farts' bit when he gets back home after his tour of UK...

Magnus Mills
Jasper Fforde
Terry Pratchett
all pretty funny- I do like Pratchett. Fforde more punnery, Mills v dark

macherie Wed 03-Jun-09 21:43:40

Think dh has some bill bryson, must have a look.

I had totally forgotten about jeeves, oh I used to love those books. Saw a dvd somewhere of the series with stephen fry and hugh laurie. That one one of my favourite ever series, hilarious and so stylish.

Great suggestions thanks, any more?

missingtheaction Wed 03-Jun-09 21:44:49

marian keyes, always makes me laugh

Poppity Wed 03-Jun-09 21:45:09

Agree with all the above, although not the Peter Kay autobiography, I thought that was disappointing.

Also, most things by Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers, Dirk Gently), the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett (really surprised me) and Good Omens (written with Neil Gaimen)are hilarious and very easy reading.

tiredemma Wed 03-Jun-09 21:45:32

Oh yes-
The Van, The Snapper & The Commitments by Roddy Doyle- all hilarious

janeite Wed 03-Jun-09 21:46:35

Ooh yes to Hitchhikers' Guide.

I chuckle at Evelyn Waugh as well but it is rather dark.

Poppity Wed 03-Jun-09 21:47:37

Oh, and Tom Sharpe

macherie Wed 03-Jun-09 21:49:43

Roddy Doyle is v v funny, have lots of his in a box somewhere.

Dcs love his childrens books too.

Poppity, yourself and dh have obv have that same sense of humour, he loves those writers!

snigger Wed 03-Jun-09 21:50:39

Absolutely concur with Bryson - A Walk In The Woods :

"What on earth would I do if four bears came into my camp? Why, I would die, of course. Literally shit myself lifeless. I would blow my sphincter out my backside like one of those unrolling paper streamers you get at children’s parties — I daresay it would even give a merry toot — and bleed to a messy death in my sleeping bag"

I laughed till I shamed myself in a trainful of strangers over the heads of this very quote.

ellingwoman Wed 03-Jun-09 21:57:03

Ha! If anyone's going to have Bill it's me!!!!

I've actually touched him so we're practically married anyway. And he had a streaming cold at the time and I wasn't repulsed. Now THAT's love.

zanz1bar Wed 03-Jun-09 21:58:41

Why has no one mentioned 'Mapp and Lucia' yet.

If you like MN you will love Mapp and Lucia.

janeite Wed 03-Jun-09 21:58:57

Get you with your 'touching' - Bill and I have been spiritually connected for at least fifteen years. He just doesn't quite know it yet.

envy

Poppity Wed 03-Jun-09 22:00:32

Gerald Durrell is fall on the floor laughing too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now