Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for 15 year-old boy

(38 Posts)
Libra Tue 02-Jun-09 12:39:25

Please help!

DS1 is 15. He is an avid reader - getting through around 12 books a week - but the teenage section in our (small) local library no longer has anything he hasn't read, and we are finding it difficult to find suitable books for him in the adult section.

He loves Terry Pratchett and has read everything he has written. As far as teenage novels are concerned, he likes Robert Muchamore, Anthony Horowitz, Eoin Colfer, Michelle Paver, Angie Sage, Derek Landy.

This sort of book is not really my style and so I am having difficulty recommending similar adult authors.

Can anyone make any suggestions please?

GeneHunt Tue 02-Jun-09 12:43:33

My ds greatly enjoys all the StarWars novels. They seem to be written by various authors but I can have a hunt for some if you think he would like that type of thing.

Has he read any Asimov or Bradbury?

Libra Tue 02-Jun-09 12:45:42

He has tried some Asimov, but claims that he doesn't like science fiction.

I think that the stuff he likes is more fantasy fiction.

lljkk Tue 02-Jun-09 12:49:11

Futurama?
Paul Zindel, SE Hinton, Philip Pullman, Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury, Robert Westall, Joseph Conrad, Jack London, George Orwell, Ursula Leguin.

Anything on this list?

Juwesm Tue 02-Jun-09 12:52:04

I would recommend the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix. That should be up his street, though this is still more teenage than adult. Also the Keys to the Kingdom series by same author, though these have an even younger 'feel'.

pagwatch Tue 02-Jun-09 12:52:51

Hi
Perhaps he especially loves those and has got into a bit of a rut.
Ds1 was on hols recently and loved -
One flew over the cukoos nest
The world according to Garp
Catch 22
and some of the James Bond books ( can't remember the titles.)

Libra Tue 02-Jun-09 12:53:42

That looks a good list lljkk - he has read some of the books mentioned but not all, so I will email it to him.

Thanks!

Libra Tue 02-Jun-09 12:54:29

Juwesm - thanks, he has read all of the Abhorsen series and the Keys to the Kingdom one.

Libra Tue 02-Jun-09 12:55:33

Pagwatch - yes, I should try him on something different.
I bought him Catcher in the Rye for his birthday, and although he did read it, he was not too keen ('guy whines a lot')

Juwesm Tue 02-Jun-09 12:56:07

Robert Rankin.
Gene Brewer - K-PAX trilogy

A friend who loves Fantasy books recommends the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

Douglas Adams of course!

Libra Tue 02-Jun-09 12:58:16

Robert Jordan looks very suitable for him - will definitely recommend.

Read him the Douglas Adams some years' ago I am afraid!

Juwesm Tue 02-Jun-09 13:07:51

I would go through the 'customers who bought this item also bought...' section for one of the Jordan books. That should pick up loads of similar series.

Juwesm Tue 02-Jun-09 13:09:29

Have seen lots of David Eddings and Terry Goodkind on the same friend's shelves!

Libra Tue 02-Jun-09 13:11:11

Juwesm - many thanks. Making long list of names now!

slug Tue 02-Jun-09 14:09:14

Iain Banks. Excellent for young men. He writes science fiction/fantasy as Iain M Banks.

Libra Tue 02-Jun-09 14:12:22

Ooh yes - I hadn't thought of him. Very popular up here in Scotland!

janeite Tue 02-Jun-09 20:46:34

Oh he's so right about 'Catcher In the Rye'!

Steven King? His Dark Tower series is great - more fantasy than horror.

Neil Gaiman?

I don't rate Dean Koontz much at all but I can see he might well appeal to teenage boys.

1984?

Sherlock Holmes?

Bink Tue 02-Jun-09 20:53:28

If he's a 12-book-a-week 15 year old he doesn't need teenage books any more. He should be reading:

Raymond Chandler
Dashiell Hammett
Gorky
Solzhenitsyn (Day in the Life .. to start with)
Alain-Fournier (Le Grand Meaulnes)
F Scott Fitzgerald (perhaps, not utterly keen myself)
George Orwell (Down & Out in Paris & London/Keep the Aspidistra Flying - not 1984)
Jack Kerouac

Bink Tue 02-Jun-09 20:54:55

(janeite - that looked like I was contradicting you on 1984 - in fact I hadn't noticed you'd mentioned it - I only said not it as it Gets Done At School and so people are often put off it. Also I was going for short sharp bright reads, not hefty ones!)

herbietea Tue 02-Jun-09 20:58:31

Message withdrawn

janeite Tue 02-Jun-09 21:02:27

No prob Bink.

What about Day Of The Triffids / The Midwich Cuckoos etc? Sci-fi but not that awful cliched sci-fi with tight jumpsuits and galactic battlezones (gross generalisation, sorry).

Bink Tue 02-Jun-09 21:03:19

I was absolutely thinking John Wyndham, I agree. I have it all stashed in my head ready for ds (who's 10) in, hmm, couple of years.

Libra Wed 03-Jun-09 10:43:30

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I am passing them on to DS1 as we go along.

somewhathorrified Wed 03-Jun-09 10:54:45

Depending on his level of maturity I'd suggest Tom sharpe. Very similar humour to Terry Pratchett. If it's more fantasy Fiction rather than humour then I'd suggest some of the Stephen King stuff, Dark Tower series and of course Tolkien.

Libra Wed 03-Jun-09 11:16:56

Hmmm. Tom Sharpe. I think I was reading him at around this age.
DS1 is probably mature enough (within the range of fifteen year-old boys anyway).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now