Talk

Advanced search

New RL book club in central london: care to join us?

(71 Posts)
Maria2007 Wed 27-May-09 21:34:04

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd post here to see if anyone's interested in joining me & 2 other friends / Mumsnetters in a new book club which we're setting up, meeting in central London about once a month. Our aim is to get out for one night a month (and get our other halves to take care of any babies / toddlers / pets etc!), choose interesting books to read & talk about, and get to know each other over a glass of wine, beer or whatever.

We've decided we'll be meeting in the evenings in Central London, which hopefully will make it convenient for all of us, as we thought that meeting in each other's houses might be slightly difficult (especially for those of us with young babies / toddlers).

Our first meeting is scheduled for June 17, at 8 pm, near Waterloo. We'll be reading 'The road' by Cormac McCarthy.

If you're interested in joining us (or you just want to perhaps find out more) please send me a message- I'm on CAT, or alternatively just post here, let us know you're interested, and I'll send you a message myself.

Maria2007 Thu 28-May-09 21:48:02

(By the way, just to reassure anyone who might be thinking 'oh no, the 3 of them are already friends, don't want to join something like that as will feel cliquey) - it's not like that, 2 of us knew each other before, but the third member we actually met just last week through MN for the purpose of the book club (mentioned in another thread initially).

Anyway, hope that's all not too confusing, just wanted to say we're just getting to know each other as well, so please do come join us!

Ewe Thu 28-May-09 22:41:34

Oooh I have wanted to join a book club for ages!

Do you have an email address I could contact you on? I haven't had CAT set up yet and my email is firstname.surname (imaginative!) so would rather not post it here.

peachsmuggler Thu 28-May-09 23:07:49

Ooh, I would be interested too. The only thing is I can't make that night but would love to join in for the next one!

Babbity Thu 28-May-09 23:20:03

I am a member of a Book Club that originated through an internet forum. Five years later, it's still going. We found having a regular venue, and a regular night (in our case the 2nd Tuesday of each month) and a core of about 15 people, meant that every month you'd get at least half a dozen people often more. At one point we had to "close the list" as we had too many, but it's been fairly steady since then. We used to communicate through email but now we use a FB group.

Good luck! (HTH)

Maria2007 Fri 29-May-09 07:52:17

Great, really glad to see we've got 2 takers . You can email me at maraki1998 at yahoo dot com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Maria2007 Fri 29-May-09 07:57:04

Btw peachsmuggler, email me too if you want & I'll add you to our email list.
Oh and babbity, thanks so much for the encouragement & ideas.

Ewe Fri 29-May-09 11:32:04

Have emailed

Maria2007 Sat 30-May-09 08:50:24

Now our group is a bit bigger, that's very good. Anyone else interested in joining?

peachsmuggler Mon 01-Jun-09 10:35:10

Have e-mailed you too Maria

artifarti Thu 04-Jun-09 10:03:23

Bumpity-bump.

Hello! I am the 'third member' who met Maria2007 last week. We are definitely not cliquey and they both seem very nice. smile

AN Other Londoners care to join us? Don't be shy now. wink

tillyfernackerpants Thu 04-Jun-09 10:29:48

I'm definitely interested. I'm currently a member of my library one but as it starts at 6.30pm its hard for me to get to now, so a later one would be great.

Have to pop out but will email later.

SenseAndIrritability Thu 04-Jun-09 17:16:52

Hi all, sounds like a fab idea. I am not sure I can make June 17 but would love to join in - shall email you Maria...

LadyBee Thu 04-Jun-09 17:29:23

ooh, hello! I would like to do this, but are you thinking of always doing Wednesdays? I need to have a bit of think about that..although I guess if only once a month wouldn't be too much of an impact on our (fairly complicated) schedules. grin

Have to go vote then pick up DS but will email.

artifarti Thu 04-Jun-09 17:50:50

Hello LadyBee! I think we just chose that date and time because it suited the three of us. I'm sure at the inaugural meeting, such things can be agreed to suit all or most.

Great to have some more on board.

Maria2007 Fri 05-Jun-09 09:33:13

Great! I'm really glad more people are interested, we can gradually build up to a good group, I think. I'm very excited Please do email me (SenseandIrritability, I got your email, will respond just now) & I can add you to the email list & we can get the ball rolling...

As artifarti said, we haven't decided yet on a particular / set day / time / place. We just randomly chose a day. I expect that, as artifarti said, at the first meeting we can decide on something more regular that's suitable to most people in the group.

nomoresleep Sun 07-Jun-09 10:02:42

I'd like to join in too! I won't make the first meet-up. I've got a 9-week old DS and a sleepless 4 year old DD and I'm not sure which would be the most impossible, getting out for the evening or reading a book, but I'm pretty sure I won't manage either of those things for the rest of June!

I will e-mail you!

littlepollyflinders Mon 08-Jun-09 16:04:46

Count me in too!
As only just found this thread not sure I could get through the book by next week (have hectic week ahead - birthday, taking dd to Paris) but definitely interested. I will send email too.

Maria2007 Tue 09-Jun-09 15:32:20

Littlepollyflinders, great, the more the merrier Send me an email & I'll add you to the email list...

spicemonster Tue 09-Jun-09 15:35:37

I'd be interested but I can only do Thursdays as it's the only evening I have childcare (lone parent). If I can join 'virtually' by email then I will come along if you ever meet on a Thursday evening

Maria2007 Tue 09-Jun-09 16:09:54

Spicemonster, hi!

We still haven't agreed on a date and, speaking for myself, I'd be happy to do thursdays. We're just meeting on the 17th for our first meeting, to get the ball rolling, and I think at that meeting we'll discuss when & where we want to meet from then on. So thursday is very much a possibility! Please do email me, would love to hear from you, & I can add you to the email list, and we can discuss all this with the others...

Badgermoose Wed 10-Jun-09 12:12:00

I can't do 17th but would love to join you if you've still got space. I'll try and work out the CAT thing.

Maria2007 Mon 15-Jun-09 08:13:09

Just to bump this... and to let anyone else interested know that we're now a group of 11 ladies (haven't met yet- only 3 of us have. first meeting this wednesday, yikes!!) If anyone else is interested, please do come along & join us. I think next meeting is going to be July 16, again somewhere in central london, & we're in the process of choosing the next book to read. So as I said, please do send me a msg through CAT (or through email, I've given my email at the beginning of this thread)...

Maria2007 Thu 18-Jun-09 11:06:51

Bumping this up again, in case others are interested. Just to let you know, we had our first meeting yesterday which went well. There's now 11 of us involved (and possibly 12 from next time) but new members are welcome for now.

londonartemis Fri 19-Jun-09 06:36:14

What is your next book?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now