Talk

Advanced search

The Other Hand - Chris Cleave

(14 Posts)
elle23 Mon 11-May-09 17:50:25

Heard nothing about this book and author's name doesn't ring a bell but am enjoying it so far smile
Have only read half but I'm looking forward to finishing it...anyone else reading this or at least heard of the book/author?

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 11-May-09 17:53:18

I started it a couple of weeks ago but need to finish my book club book first so have put it down again. I hope its good, the first few chapters seemed good, I will have to start it again though.

BitOfFun Mon 11-May-09 17:55:28

I read it before it was published as a proof copy and LOVED it! I emailed the author to say how much I enjoyed it and got a lovely reply from him. I think I've raved about it on here before if you do a search on his name...he really ought to be better known than he is!

scoutandjem Mon 11-May-09 17:57:20

Hello, I've read the book. Very good, wouldn't rate as excellent. Fav. book over past year has to be Time Travellers Wife had me in tears - what a journey.

elvislives Mon 11-May-09 18:25:50

Ah. I assumed Chris Cleave was a woman. I didn't really like the book. It didn't say what it was about on the cover so I should have read the beginning. If I had done I wouldn't have bought it. Didn't like the ending at all and couldn't really get on with most of the characters- particularly Charlie, it must be said, whose speech idiosyncrasies just got on my nerves.

elle23 Mon 11-May-09 20:36:08

really elvislives? I liked the back cover non-description grin
I'm enjoying it so far, I liked the beginning, it's quite easy going and because It's drip-drip-drip with the story I will keep reading til the end - can't stand working everything out in the beginning of a book because the author tells too much too soon. I like a bit of 'ooh what's that about' grin

yappybluedog Tue 12-May-09 16:48:32

I read this a few months ago, I loved Little Bee, but Sarah was too annoying for words

I really enjoyed it though

margotfonteyn Wed 13-May-09 12:57:13

Chris Cleave writes the 'down with the kids', I think it is called, column in the Saturday Guardian.

pinkcake22 Sat 23-May-09 15:29:19

bitof fun i read proof too as worked in a bookshop, loved it so much they used my review for posters across all the uk stores. i thought it was so funny and dark at the same time. and really well written. i love books that are original like nothing else and this was one of them. i think you are meant to dislike the character of sarah cus she represents the ignorance's that people have about asylum seekers. thats just my view anyway!

PremenstrualChickens Thu 28-May-09 14:54:44

I loved this book. Parts were heartbreaking, but overall I thought it was very uplifting.

foxinsocks Fri 12-Jun-09 20:39:36

how funny

I am half way through too

I assumed the author was female as well, now I need to go back and think why I assumed that

Had they put the description on the book, I would NEVER have bought it. Not in a million years. But it intrigued me, so I did and I'm really enjoying it. Can barely put it down.

(but did wonder, why did she get the text message after the police had arrived at the office?)

ChopsTheDuck Thu 16-Jul-09 10:11:24

I enjoyed this, I really think the author has a great gift for imagery. I think the mannerisms he allocated to people were overused and did become tiresome.

I liked the ending too, it would have been a far weaker novel had they all lived happily ever after.

The text was odd, well spotted! Apparently it took an hour to come through!

elsiepiddock Sun 09-Aug-09 12:50:31

I wondered that about the text too! I picked a few holes in the plot.

I quite enjoyed this book - it was a good holiday read. Am glad to see other comments about the son - totally unconvincing speech for a 4 year old.

tiredemma Sun 09-Aug-09 17:51:22

Just read this on holiday- have to say I really enjoyed it. Couldnt put it down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now