Talk

Advanced search

GREAT EXPECTATIONS... God, it's taking me AGES to get through this

(24 Posts)
notnowbernard Thu 07-May-09 22:20:17

But I am enjoying it, strangely

I normally read quickly

I'm into month 2 with this blush

Can only read 1 chapter at a time... start to zone out if I do any more than that... it's so bloody wordy

It's my first attempt at Dickens <philistine>

I'm just over half way through... I'm definitely going to finish it, but please tell me it's worth it!

janeite Thu 07-May-09 22:21:33

It's not worth it! Can't be doing with Dickens.

Sorry!

sassy Thu 07-May-09 22:23:23

I hate Dickens. Great stories, appaling delivery IMVHO.

Try Vanity Fair next - they say Dickens-haters all enjoy Thackery.

notnowbernard Thu 07-May-09 22:23:24

I enjoyed Vol 1

But it's all sort of gone off the boil in the middle

I will persist

notnowbernard Thu 07-May-09 22:23:24

I enjoyed Vol 1

But it's all sort of gone off the boil in the middle

I will persist

sassy Thu 07-May-09 22:24:53

Oh, and the end of Great E is not the one he planned to write, His mate Wilkie Collins told him to write something more crowd-pleasing, so he did. (Spineless man)

janeite Thu 07-May-09 22:25:30

Vanity Fair = fab.

notnowbernard Thu 07-May-09 22:26:41

Sassy - that's it! It's a gripping storyline but he blathers on and on, doesn't he?

cazzybabs Thu 07-May-09 22:27:11

oh god i am nearly at the and and loved it (lthough I did get a bit lost in the middle - maybe because i am a bit thick and don't get dickens

janeite Thu 07-May-09 22:28:00

He was paid by the yard and it shows!

notnowbernard Thu 07-May-09 22:31:16

We are singing from the same song-sheet, Cazzy

Janeite, I'm going to finish it... I hate giving up on books and I recently abandoned The Great Gatsby so I've reached my quota already

janeite Thu 07-May-09 22:32:58

Ah - now 'The Great Gatsby' is another book with 'Great' in its title, that actually wasn't so great: you seem to have a bit of a theme going here!

notnowbernard Thu 07-May-09 22:34:06

Indeed!

cheapskatemum Fri 08-May-09 22:51:05

It was my O level literature text! Love Dickens myself, but never managed to get beyond 2nd page of "Vanity Fair", so I guess the converse of Sassy's theory is true! Would not recommend "Bleak House" for OP (now, that was my A level text)

seeker Fri 08-May-09 22:55:13

I wrote an essay on great Expectations in my finals without having read the book - I just couldn't finish it!

yappybluedog Sat 09-May-09 08:41:39

I find audio books very good when it comes to the classics wink

notnowbernard Thu 28-May-09 21:23:03

I finished! (Thank the Lord)

I actually really enjoyed Vol 3 and am so pleased I plodded on

Queenoftheharpies Thu 28-May-09 23:36:00

Since it was originally published as a serial, I reckon 1 chapter at a time is the way to go at great expectations. Likewise David Copperfield - I read that to an ex boyfriend once, 1 chapter a night, back in the days when I was romantic like that.

Babbity Thu 28-May-09 23:40:01

I loved GE (read it on honeymoon!)

But Vanity Fair is brilliant, I'm due for a reread actually.

(In the BBC adaptation, Captain Dobbin was played by Philip Glenister aka Gene Hunt, fact fans)

Queenoftheharpies Tue 02-Jun-09 11:36:03

I think you can get editions of GE with both endings - the one Dickens wanted to write is better and a lot more plausible.

Mind you, the whole book is so implausible, by the time you get to the end you're immune to daft coincidences.

Blackduck Tue 02-Jun-09 11:54:00

Loath Dickens, except for Hard Times which is remarkably short.....now Wilkie Collins - there's a Victorian writer for you!

NoTart Tue 02-Jun-09 12:04:52

It´s worth it, it´s brilliant! Very funny in part, don´t know how people miss this. Agree though that some of Dickens´work is pretty tedious. Move onto David Copperfield for the next one, plan a year or so to get through it though ; )

canttouchthis Mon 08-Jun-09 21:45:35

OP I've just finished Sense and Sensibility and I thought that was also very wordy, took me about 6 months to read that (but did enjoy it!!). Have Moby Dick to read and also Great E too. Will attempt them after the 39 steps..

Persevere with your book, you will get there in the end!

wrinklytum Mon 08-Jun-09 21:48:03

I did GE for my gcse and hated it.Soooo wordy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now