Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a favorite book you cannot wait for your DC to read?

(50 Posts)
JeffVadar Tue 05-May-09 15:47:35

I think that mine is probably Mikhael Bulgakov - The Master and Margarita. A book I go back to on a regular basis...

I hope that he will like it too! I mustn't give it too much of a build up.

BalloonSlayer Tue 05-May-09 15:51:24

The Ogre Downstairs by Diana Wynne Jones.

It was the first book I read that had a family I recognised in it; step parent, step children, the kids fight, the adults bellow up the stairs. After the famous five with their cooks and maids it was like a breath of fresh air.

It would still be in my all-time top ten now I am a grown up.

bea Tue 05-May-09 16:34:17

oooo harry potter of course... at the mo she is an avid reader and could easily read philosophers stone but at the mo she has no interest in it... i'm desparate for her to read it before she finds out the ending... or worse still watches the films instead! (i won't allow it!!!! shock)

ohdearwhatamess Tue 05-May-09 16:40:53

Famous Five here blush

Also Pippi Longstocking and Milly Molly Mandy, but can't see those appealing to boys.

MiaWallace Tue 05-May-09 16:47:55

Dd is only three but I can't wait for her to read Matilda.

When I was 7 I accidently found all my Christmas presents. Matilda was the first present I saw. I took the book and hid it under my pillow. I then stayed up all night reading it under the blankets with a torch. The following morning I returned it.

I never looked at any of the other presents and only confessed to my parents what I had done when I was in my mid 20s

Still have the same copy of Matilda on my bookcase of favourite books.

ohdearwhatamess Tue 05-May-09 16:53:22

Oh yes, that is a good book. Charlie & Choc Factory too. NOT The Great Glass Elevator - still sticks in my mind as one of the most disappointing reads of my childhood.

Sycamoretree Tue 05-May-09 17:02:59

Ohdearwhatamess - your post made me smile.

We are reading Charlie to DD 3.8 at the moment and loving it. I was only thinking the other day what a terrible let down the "sequel" was, LOL!

notcitrus Tue 05-May-09 17:04:14

The Phantom Tollbooth. I've been trying to get MrNC to read it since we met, but suspect I'll be reading it to him at A at the same time! It's back in print, too.

And 'My friend Mr Leakey'. Still out of print but the text is online, sadly without the Quentin Blake illustrations.

TwoScrambled Thu 07-May-09 13:01:29

The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper
A Solitary Blue by Cynthia Voigt
Goodnight Mr Tom by Michelle Magorian

fircone Thu 07-May-09 13:07:41

I have a giant collection of Mandy, Judy, Bunty and Tammy annuals. I really hope dd enjoys them as much as I did.

fircone Thu 07-May-09 13:10:06

On a more cerebral note, I loved Noel Streatfield books.

I have all my old books, but why in the 1970s was the print so small? I can see that they don't look very appealing to the modern child (or parent denying the need for reading glasses!).

Mumcentreplus Thu 07-May-09 13:24:48

Charlotte's Web ..I loved that book sooo much when I was a girl

Pogleswood Thu 07-May-09 14:34:23

DD is a non reader,so if she read anything spontaneously I'd be over the moon!But mine is The Dark is Rising - and I'm keen for DS to read the Eagle of The Ninth etc.(But still remember Mum building up her favorite book,and starting it to discover drowned monk on page 2 and death by consumption next - I so did not do that sort of thing as a child,and it made me pretty wary of taking her recommendations for a while!)

Sunshinemummy Thu 07-May-09 14:47:08

Lots of things including Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, Lord of the Rings, Roald Dahl, The Little Prince, the Abhorsen series and then things like Rebecca, East of Eden, Gone with the Wind etc.

PinkBubblesGoApe Thu 07-May-09 15:04:26

Lots of the above mentioned, plus Narnia series and Swallows and Amazons...

PinkBubblesGoApe Thu 07-May-09 15:05:52

Also, when DD is much bigger (teen, I guess?), Jane Austen - big fan here!

PinkBubblesGoApe Thu 07-May-09 15:10:06

Another classic author I love: Rudyard Kipling.

(Sorry I keep popping back to the thread - it got me all excited... Hmmm, time to dust off some old faves for another read, I think!)

cheapskatemum Fri 08-May-09 22:54:28

Loads - almost all the above-mentioned books. However, 4 DSs are confirmed non-readers, so it's extremely unlikely to happen at all.

llareggub Fri 08-May-09 22:57:31

Definitely the Dark is Rising. I named DS1 after one of the characters in "Over Sea, Under Stone." I also can't wait for him to read "A Silver Sword."

pointydog Fri 08-May-09 23:00:39

The Catcher in teh Rye

Kayteee Fri 08-May-09 23:02:53

1984....I think they might find it useful...wink

woodenchair Fri 08-May-09 23:04:39

How to eat fried worms was great
Had forgotten the dark is rising i loved those books. I found a box set in a charity shop about ten years ago and bought them for future dc

barbarapym Fri 08-May-09 23:16:53

Just read Over Sea Under Stone with/to DS. I keep trying him with the Dark is Rising but he quite rightly thinks he should wait a couple of years - he thinks it's too scary for him. (Especially the bit near the beginning where the skylight pops open in the night...) Feel like a terrible parent for trying to make him read it too soon but I think it's brilliant so am a bit over keen. The writing is just fantastic.

Also saved up The Children Who Lived in a Barn for him - I was thrilled when he loved it as much as I did.

pingviner Fri 08-May-09 23:20:55

Oooh, so many.... (I hope DS likes reading)

James thurber - The wonderful O
it was reissued this week
and I got a copy and was still sniggering at it so many years on

The Dark is rising, of course (the series has also been reissued)
Howls moving castle, in fact most Diana Wynne Jones
The Hounds of the Morrigan
Merrymole the Magnificent

barbarapym Fri 08-May-09 23:21:29

Agree about the Ogre Downstairs too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now