Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me a book please

(38 Posts)
grumpyfrumpy Mon 11-Apr-05 12:09:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Demented Tue 12-Apr-05 13:48:40

I've just read The Confessions of Max Tivoli, which was very thought provoking and emotional, about a boy who ages backwards and Becoming Strangers by Louise Dean, which was about two older couples one having their first holiday together and the other having their last, very bittersweet and far more interesting than it sounds.

grumpyfrumpy Tue 12-Apr-05 13:56:16

Oil Tue 12-Apr-05 13:57:39

Small Island by Andrea Levy went down well at our book group. It's also going to be the one they talk about with the author on Radio 4 on the first Sunday in may (4pm ish).

spykid Tue 12-Apr-05 14:01:10

An interesting one would be Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman. It is ritten as a sequel to deMaurier's Rebecca, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
A good historical novel I enjoyed was The CRimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.
Lots of controversy to discuss in that one !!

spykid Tue 12-Apr-05 14:01:13

An interesting one would be Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman. It is ritten as a sequel to deMaurier's Rebecca, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
A good historical novel I enjoyed was The CRimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.
Lots of controversy to discuss in that one !!

spykid Tue 12-Apr-05 14:01:51

ooops!too keen

grumpyfrumpy Tue 12-Apr-05 14:04:21

cod Tue 12-Apr-05 14:04:48

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Tue 12-Apr-05 14:05:37

Message withdrawn

yoyo Tue 12-Apr-05 14:10:43

I'm reading Light on Snow by Anita Shreve and it is excellent so far.
Just finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult which would give rise to a great discussion.
Depending on the age range of the group I would recommend Larry's Party by Carol Shields. Mid-life angst - DH and I found ourselves raising our eyebrows in a knowing way quite a few times.

cod Tue 12-Apr-05 14:14:28

Message withdrawn

Toothache Tue 12-Apr-05 14:33:45

Well I'm reading the DaVinci Code at the moment. OMG! What a fantastic book!!!!!!! Can't wait to read Angels & Demons by Dan Brown too.

grumpyfrumpy Tue 12-Apr-05 14:39:12

Cha Tue 12-Apr-05 14:46:39

Would your book group be into short stories? Ours has just done Brokeback Mountain (from a collection called Close Range) by Annie Proulx (her of the Shipping News). We also did another short story called Prelude by Catherine Mansfield, though can't remember the collection. Both are fantastic reads, though I especially like Proulx, my favourite writer at the moment. Now we are reading a Confederacy of Dunces by John K Toole which was my suggestion. I love it (third time of reading) but I suspect it will not be everyone's cup of tea and am somewhat dreading the feedback....

PsychoFlame Tue 12-Apr-05 14:57:10

I'm with Da Vinci Code and My Sister's Keeper - enjoyed both

Psycho is recommending...."Blackbird" and "Still Waters" by Jennifer Lauck. Oh, and "The Lovely Bones", and "Lucky" by Alice Sebold. All except Lovely Bones are true life ones...

Tissues needed for all except Da Vinci

Oliviab Tue 12-Apr-05 17:10:38

Plug plug plug! Check out the thread about Older Heroines below, book is in Waterstones and Amazon now!

RTMTMML Tue 12-Apr-05 17:13:29

The Kite Runner. Absolutely brilliant. Makes you cry, gives you hope, makes you cry some more. Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat Tue 12-Apr-05 17:18:05

Second vote for the Kite Runner - I'm recommending it to everyone at the moment. It's got it all - family saga, emotion, history (the story starts in Afghanistan). A real pager turner!

bundle Tue 12-Apr-05 17:21:27

kite runner is a real page turner, but small island is a better book iykwim.

bundle Tue 12-Apr-05 17:24:55

and I found Unless by Carol Shields incredibly moving

RTMTMML Tue 12-Apr-05 17:30:30

sorry bundle, have to disagree with you there.

bundle Wed 13-Apr-05 10:08:52

in what way RTMTMML?

Hausfrau Wed 13-Apr-05 10:17:58

toddlermum Wed 13-Apr-05 15:12:21

not quite new and I have mentioned it before but all in my book group loved Middlesex and also The hHouse of Sand and Fog

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now