If you loathe Rachel Cusk, you'll love this

(47 Posts)
jujumaman Thu 12-Feb-09 11:07:37

Brilliant digested read of her new book from the Guardian

Made me rofl.

Safe to say, I won't be buying the book.

Her success is a complete mystery to me. She is so misanthropic, so smug, so lacking in empathy towards the rest of humanity. Though to be fair, the rest of humanity is losing jobs and struggling to survive, while she is being paid to write drivel about a brief holiday in a country where she couldn't even be bothered to learn the language.

barbarapym Thu 12-Feb-09 11:19:24

Also rofl...! I am mystified by her success as well. Arlington Park was dreadful. Have ended up reading most of her things over the years as they tend to get given to me as slightly misguided presents. ( Altho I quite liked A Life's Work - it was so inappropriately self-pitying that it was oddly entertaining.)

shrinkingassets Thu 12-Feb-09 11:28:10

Priceless. Heard some of this book read on Radio 4 the other day and was aghast at its awfulness. Hated the one about motherhood, couldn't finish it.

MaryAnnSweetheart Thu 12-Feb-09 11:30:49

yay ! Arlington Park was bad wasn't it...

Mintyy Thu 12-Feb-09 11:31:03

Oh that is absolutely superb. Laughing and laughing my head off here! That's really made my day grin thanks for the link.

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 12-Feb-09 11:34:32

ROFLMAO!

nickytwotimes Thu 12-Feb-09 11:37:26

Oh, I love John Craces's stuff.

DH and I frequently piss ourselves over his Digested Reads.

jujumaman Thu 12-Feb-09 11:46:17

John Crace is a genius

Rachel Cusk is not. Though I agree, BabsP, the misery that is her life is often unintentionally hilarious.

which note, whenever I need cheering up I read her account of joining a book club

Annoyingly, I can't find it - but it provoked a brilliant response from one of the book club saying how RC was so patronising and sneering she had made all the other members miserable and how happy they were to be shot of her.

MaryAnnSweetheart Thu 12-Feb-09 11:53:19

oh the link didn't work sad

TotalChaos Thu 12-Feb-09 11:55:03

brilliant link.

for more of the genius Crace's Digested reads, see here:-

www.guardian.co.uk/books/series/digestedread

giantkatestacks Thu 12-Feb-09 12:06:35

yes they are absolutely fantastic - I remember a great one for The End of the Affair that was just completely spot on.

And yes Rachel Cusk gets my back up - that bit in the book where she is being so awful about baby groups and singing and am getting all grr just thinking about it. So bloomin joyless.

orangina Thu 12-Feb-09 12:15:32

rachel cusk is pants. can't wait to forward this to a fellow rc loather...

(evil cackle)

MaryAnnSweetheart Thu 12-Feb-09 12:17:19

have forwarded to my book group members - we all endured Arlington Park and had to represent it at the Orange Prize discussion at our library...

TheOldestCat Thu 12-Feb-09 12:18:31

Oh, I listened to that book being read (by the fab Holly Aird) on Radio 4 recently and was spellbound by the sheer horror. So condescending and smug!

John Crace is brilliant.

chocolatedot Thu 12-Feb-09 12:37:02

TOC, I caught some of it too and immediately thought that it was so grippingly awful that it could only be the work of THAT woman.

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Thu 12-Feb-09 12:56:45

I'm glad it's not just me grin

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Thu 12-Feb-09 12:56:46

I'm glad it's not just me grin

jujumaman Thu 12-Feb-09 13:01:06

Sorry, here we go again

Can you imagine being one of the mums in her dds' classes, knowing she is watching you all the time, conjuring up insults to skewer you with in her next oeuvre?

plumandolive Thu 12-Feb-09 13:19:37

I saw that in Guardy- brilliant! It's been on radio 4 ...my radio has been spat at lotsgrin

stinkymonkey Thu 12-Feb-09 13:20:54

I often see her on the school run, giving everybody the deadeye. It's quite intimidating. You wouldn't rush to say hello.

giantkatestacks Thu 12-Feb-09 13:24:44

Good God stinkymonkey that must be awful.

jujumaman Thu 12-Feb-09 13:34:47

Really, stinkymonkey?

I bet she's a pillar of the PTA wink

stinkymonkey Thu 12-Feb-09 13:43:22

Come to think of it, I did say hello once and was right royally blanked. When people complain on here about intimidating school run mummies, I always think 'thank your lucky stars you haven't got to run the gauntlet of RC's deadeye'.

donnie Thu 12-Feb-09 13:54:43

I also heard some of it being read by an actor on Radio 4 the other day and nearly vomited into my ironing. Unmistakeably Cuskesque drivel.

jujumaman Thu 12-Feb-09 13:56:35

Maybe you should try a gentle icebreaker in the form of a print out of John Crace's Disgested Read?

After that you'll be best friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now