Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone suggest a short story or novel with a good description of a wedding?

(18 Posts)
ravenAK Wed 28-Jan-09 15:16:41

Can't think of one off hand! Thanks in advance...smile

Bink Wed 28-Jan-09 15:27:09

Member of the Wedding, Carson McCullers

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding, Julia Strachey

LightShinesInTheDarkness Wed 28-Jan-09 16:17:25

Not sure what you mean by 'good' description but Anita Shreve, 'A Wedding in December' is an interesting read.

TheYearOfTheCat Wed 28-Jan-09 17:01:19

'A Spot of Bother' by Mark Haddon centres around a wedding - very funny, in a bitterweet sort of way.

ravenAK Wed 28-Jan-09 20:45:53

Thanks!

Already got the Anita Shreve suggested elsewhere, Mark Haddon brilliant idea smile, will check out the others.

It's a task for my year 9s - they have to write an account of a wedding that goes horribly wrong (Hero & Claudio in 'Much Ado About Nothing') - looking for examples in prose to show them.

janeite Wed 28-Jan-09 20:48:52

There is a very silly one in one of the Shopaholic books where she has told them all she has a new boyfriend but they think she's made him up and then he's late but she pretends he's there because otherwise they'll think even more that he doesn't exist and then eventually he comes. Very silly indeed but might appeal to them.

Isn't there something similar in Bridget Jones?

janeite Wed 28-Jan-09 20:49:29

Sorry - my ones are not very English teachery at all tonight!

slayerette Wed 28-Jan-09 20:52:16

There's one in the Opening Worlds OCR book - Snapshots of a Wedding - but its meaning is quite obscure for Yr 9.

Am thinking...

Scarletibis Wed 28-Jan-09 20:56:54

Sleep With Me by Joanna Briscoe has a fairly horrific wedding scene in it - don't know if it's suitable for yr 9s though...

janeite Wed 28-Jan-09 21:04:27

Tess if you want to depress them!

TheYearOfTheCat Wed 28-Jan-09 21:08:52

Blood Wedding by Lorca is the ultimate wedding gone wrong - but a bit gory and depressing for 9 yr olds! (and me)

ravenAK Thu 29-Jan-09 20:14:54

We've got 'Snapshots' in mind slayerette - doesn't matter so much about the deeper meanings, lots of excellent stuff we can use for descriptive writing.

Will look into the Shopaholic/B Jones suggestions janeite, something fluffy would be good (I suggested 'Rivals' by Jilly Cooper but HOD got very snotty about that...grin)

Tess probably a bit inaccessible? Will have a look - any idea whereabouts the wedding scene is? Haven't read it in 20 years & blowing the dust off my copy & speed-reading doesn't especially appeal!

Will google the Lorca thing - never heard of it blush

Thanks ladies, these are great.

janeite Thu 29-Jan-09 21:41:20

I think my link should take you straight to the wedding scene: I must admit Hardy drives me bonkers nowadays though! It's pretty straightforward for Hardy I guess, depending on the group's ability obviously.

HerBeatitudeLittleBella Thu 29-Jan-09 21:46:01

The Godfather?

grin

ravenAK Thu 29-Jan-09 21:49:54

grin Not sure about the bit with the rapacious bridesmaid, but otherwise yeah, bound to be something I can use. (crumbs I've read some crap in my time...)

Had a look at the Tess extract janeite (duh, didn't check link) - might be able to use an abridged bit. Thanks smile

cheapskatemum Sat 31-Jan-09 20:01:07

Agree with TheYearOfTheCat - A Spot of Bother by Haddon - hilarious!

TheYearOfTheCat Sat 31-Jan-09 21:43:31

Does it have to be literature, or would song lyrics be a different twist?

janeite Sat 31-Jan-09 21:48:01

If you want song lyrics, it has to be Billy Idol!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now