Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Looking for online group

(20 Posts)
flamesparrow Tue 08-Mar-05 12:51:32

Hi,

I don't know where to start looking really. I would like to join an online book group, one that reads a variety of books (not just all classics), and one that is relaxed! Yes I want to discuss the books, but I also want to feel able to veer off into other discussions if that is where the chat takes us.

Oh, also need realistic reading time frames for mummies!!!

Can anyone help?

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 08-Mar-05 12:53:46

Richard and Judy's Book Club hth

Demented Tue 08-Mar-05 12:59:28

The Book Group Online Found this while trying to find another site, haven't tried them but might be worth a go.

We used to have a book of the month on MN but I think Freddiecat who organised it is on maternity leave just now but it would be nice to see it up and running again.

Demented Tue 08-Mar-05 13:05:42

The Reading Group is who I was looking for initially (hopefully the link will work, I am using DH's PC just now and it is telling me that I am "forbidden" to look at the page, probably DH protecting the bank balance after my last visit there ). They are part of The Book People and they have discussion boards, although I haven't looked at them so unsure if any of them operate like an on-line book group. However their books are v cheap and well worth a look.

MimiLondon Wed 09-Mar-05 09:48:50

Hi,

I'm Mimi and I have just started up www.thebookgrouponline.com click here which one of the members here stumbled upon. I literally started creating the site a few days ago and then had to go to Dublin for a week, so it has not yet started up, but I hope to have it up and running next week and publicised in libraries etc, so I apologise for you stumbling acros a totally empty forum that includes, well... just me! Please pop back on in a week or so if anyone is interested in book discusion or taking part in the read of the week. The forum is actually functional now, so if anyone wishes to be member No. 2, click the link above and scoot on by the forum!

ggglimpopo Wed 09-Mar-05 09:58:31

Message withdrawn

DecafArabica Wed 09-Mar-05 12:13:23

I've joined too! Look forward to reading lots of new authors and hearing what everyone thinks.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 09-Mar-05 12:50:52

I've also joined. What a good idea

Demented Wed 09-Mar-05 14:22:20

LOL I feel quite proud of myself having found Mimi's site!

I have become member number 7 and will definately be back for a visit.

MimiLondon Wed 09-Mar-05 15:00:37

Hi!

Well thanks everyone for helping to get off to a flying start at the forums. I am just trying to get the front page filled with a bit more info at the moment, though as you might imaging the forums are the main part of the site.

Thanks for being the first 'joinees' as such - I am going to try and get everything looking slick and professional by this evening, but as you know the forums are now fully functional and an FAQ is being prepared as I write, but if you have any queries before it's ready just join and ask away!

Demented Wed 09-Mar-05 23:29:01

Sorry Mimi, meant to say well done on the site, great idea and hope it really takes off.

Was rushing out to an appointment this afternoon, hence the quick post.

TwinSetAndPearls Wed 09-Mar-05 23:44:13

what a fab idea, in my pre motherhood days I used to go to a book group but now due to a lack of babysitter and time I can't but i miss book chat. I have just registered.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 10-Mar-05 00:34:01

I'm number 4 wahoo! I'm going to recommend it to my sister who doesn't have time to go out to a bookgroup but really wants to join one. Looking forward to posting there more often. Great site Mimi, well done!

Hazellnut Thu 10-Mar-05 11:11:56

I'm in too !! Number 13 I think....

crystaltips Thu 10-Mar-05 13:24:07

Message withdrawn

BubblesDeVere Thu 10-Mar-05 17:05:29

I've joined and its fab. Just recommended it to a friend

Demented Thu 10-Mar-05 22:23:43

I could have a new addiction, can't bring myself to tell DH yet!

I even found myself going to The Book Group Online before checking MN today!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 10-Mar-05 22:34:32

I'm signed on with them at the moment. I can't wait until it is in full swing.

maddysmammy Sat 12-Mar-05 21:53:41

My dd has just turned 5 and I used to be an avid reader prior to having her. It's only in the last 6 months or so that I have begun to read anything like the number of books that I used to. I've always fancied joining a book club so I've just joined up for the one recommended here. My mum loves to read so I'll be passing on the details to her as well.

Arabica Sat 12-Mar-05 22:33:04

I have told DS that next time we go to the library he has to let mummy choose a book too (normally he whinges at me to go home when I drag him into the adult section!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now