Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

White Tiger, Aravind Adiga - anyone read it?

(6 Posts)
MrsMuddle Tue 21-Oct-08 19:00:01

White Tiger won the Booker Prize last week. I've not read any of the others on the list, so I've nothing to compare it to, but I so enjoyed this.

Does anyone want to discuss it with me?

nuttymum303 Tue 21-Oct-08 19:19:01

No I never read this. Was it any good?

What sort of books is it?

MrsMuddle Tue 21-Oct-08 19:32:20

It's set in India, and written from the perspective of a man who came to the city as a driver for a rich family. Don't want to spoil it by telling you any more. Lots of twists and very well written. Still in hardback though. I got it out the library.

FlossCampi Tue 21-Oct-08 23:27:32

MrsMuddle, happy to discuss, but... while I thought it was clever and important, but I'm not sure "enjoyable" is a word I could easily apply to this book! I found it a pretty harrowing read.

What was it that particularly impressed you about it?

egyptianprincess Tue 21-Oct-08 23:44:15

im half-way through. it's alright but Im not sure it's booker prize worthy.

MrsMuddle Wed 22-Oct-08 21:04:38

I didn't mean that the story was enjoyable - but that I was really enjoying reading the book. I couldn't put it down, and it's a while since I felt like that about a book.

It was India from another angle, and that's what I found fascinating. I love books about India, but this really was the "other" India. Also, the horrible thing that happened halfway through (trying not to spoil for others!) was SO unexpected. I just didn't see it coming.

I can't imagine being in a situation that you'll never get out of without doing something drastic (as he did). And there must be millions and millions of people like him.

But I have unanswered questions:
What do you think happened to his family?
What do you think will happen to him in the future?
I know it's fictional, but do things like that really happen in India - I imagine that corruption does, but to the extent of covering up deaths?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now