Talk

Advanced search

If a book could save the world this would be it.......

(11 Posts)
roseability Mon 20-Oct-08 15:13:36

Dostoyevsky's crime and punishment for me

Why? Compassionate, hopeful, forgiving, brilliant.

ThreadieKrueger Mon 20-Oct-08 15:33:47

But so bleak and stifling also. Could save one person in an irredeemable world, perhaps?

roseability Mon 20-Oct-08 15:37:01

It is very bleak sometimes and the Christian symbolism might put some off but I believe it can appeal to a wide audience

Maybe not.

ThreadieKrueger Mon 20-Oct-08 15:40:31

Oh yes it appeals to me hugely. It is a brilliant book. But it didn't lift me, or make me feel that the world is saveable. By 'one person saved' I meant Rascolnikov. Despite his redemption (which he's only allowed after a long punishment in exile) I didn't feel that the redemption spead to me or to the world of the story.

I can't remember what changes Ras's mind about God.

hannahsaunt Mon 20-Oct-08 15:42:48

Not To Kill A Mockingbird?

roseability Mon 20-Oct-08 15:47:47

Ahhh another great hannahsaunt!

Threadie - made me feel uplifted with its underlying message that no matter what you have done (not that I have murdered anyone!) you are redeemable

I love Sonya - beautiful, etheral and pious a true heroine!

So what books would save the world?

Flamesparrow Mon 20-Oct-08 15:48:31

Nah.

Join Me - Danny Wallace. A book encouraging people to do random acts of kindness.

roseability Mon 20-Oct-08 15:50:28

I keep meaning to read Danny Wallace

Flamesparrow Mon 20-Oct-08 15:51:40

It may not be great literature, but it just leaves you with that feeling that the world is an ok place afterall.

roseability Mon 20-Oct-08 16:04:13

I need that Flamesparrow!

Will get on amazon tonight. He did a book called The Yes Man as well. Supposed to be great

Flamesparrow Mon 20-Oct-08 17:26:00

Tis very good too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now