Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Reading 'Cuckoo in the Nest' by Michelle Magorian, is it an adult or a teen book?

(13 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 19:39:42

DD is insisting it is suitable for her - so I read it to see

I absolutely love it

I don't think I have any problem with DD reading it - but whether she will understand it hmm

Has she written anything else

NoblesseOblige Sat 18-Oct-08 19:42:18

i LOVE Michelle Magorian!

she wrote Goodnight Mr Tom

A Spoonful of Jam

A Little Lovesong (bit more adult that one)

and a new one that I've read recently and can't remember the title...something Henry?

beautiful stories with lots of historical detail

nooOOOoonki Sat 18-Oct-08 19:42:36

she wrote goodnight mister tom didn't she? - that was my favourite book when I was 10.

NoblesseOblige Sat 18-Oct-08 19:43:05

oh and also Back Home which i think is my favourite - girl returning home to England after 5 years evacuated to America

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 19:43:27

DD liked Goodnight Mr Tom - but again I am not sure she 'got' it all

NoblesseOblige Sat 18-Oct-08 19:45:50

i don't think she needs to "get" it all, if she liked it and you consider it suitable, then i wouldn't worry

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 20:00:40

There are some vague references to homosexuality but it is really well written

I am quite happy for her to read it & hope she loves it

nooOOOoonki Sat 18-Oct-08 20:14:09

why would it worry you about having references to homosexuality in it? unless it is graphic why should that be a problem anymore than if it was explicitly sexual?

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 20:24:38

It's the only (slightly possible) reason for unsuitability in some people's eyes

Apart from that nothing even vaguely sexual

I just don't think she would understand that & the extreme poverty they live in

MrsMuddle Sat 18-Oct-08 21:03:49

My DC have just finished Just Henry by her, and they both said it was one of the best books they'd read. They're 12 and 13, BTW.

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 21:27:09

Oh good I'll see if I can get any more of hers out of the library (for me not DD blush)

MamaHobgoblin Tue 21-Oct-08 21:04:52

My way of thinking is that - if she's lucky enough not to have experience of extreme poverty herself, then how else is she going to understand it other than reading good novels that are concerned with it, or any other issue that she doesn't have personal experience of?

I loved MM when I was a teenager and I do still reread Back Home for comfort! I might be tempted to get this one from the library...

KatyMac Wed 22-Oct-08 20:53:48

Hmm - I think I agree with you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now