Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The Post Birthday World-Lionel Shriver

(12 Posts)
AbbeyA Fri 17-Oct-08 09:23:37

Has anyone read this? I have started it but I am not enjoying it-should I carry on? It is a very thick book and I don't like any of the characters!

fumf Fri 17-Oct-08 09:25:25

I'm struggling ewith it too. Cannot engage with it. really enjoyed Kevin. Will persevere.

Marina Fri 17-Oct-08 09:25:30

Did you read her first novel Abbey?

AbbeyA Fri 17-Oct-08 09:33:39

Yes I read 'We Need to Talk about Kevin', I think enjoyed it would be the wrong word, but I found it very interesting and thought provoking.

malovitt Fri 17-Oct-08 09:34:05

It is awful.
I enjoyed Kevin and was looking forward to this but it is garbage.
I persevered because it was a birthday present and I felt guilty but when I finished it I put it in the paper recycling not the book recycling so no-one else would have to suffer reading my copy.

SweetPea99 Wed 29-Oct-08 10:33:10

Double Fault is an excellent novel, written before the success of 'Kevin', but I am struggling with 'Post birthday World', it just seems like an academic exercise for Shriver, and a pretty arrogant one at that. Reading this thread has made me decide to give up (I was struggling through and wondering why I was bothering). And what's with the Dick Van Dyke accent for the snooker player??? Oi???

ElviraInanEcup Wed 29-Oct-08 10:45:48

Message withdrawn

PurpleRabbit Wed 29-Oct-08 21:42:20

It's not just you ElviraInanEcup - I really liked it too. Like you I enjoyed how similar both the versions of her life really were. Not so keen on Double Fault though, but I read that after Kevin and PBW, so I wonder if there's a limit to how much Shriver you can enjoy!

fishie Wed 29-Oct-08 21:46:00

i've never managed to read the two i've tried, not up for a third go. there is something very unappealing and contrived about her writing. although we could all have guessed that with the lionel business.

ElviraInanEcup Wed 29-Oct-08 22:03:03

Message withdrawn

conkertree Thu 30-Oct-08 21:32:29

my goodness purplerabbit fancy meeting you here. I too am struggling to get through this one - but I will persevere (and then give you your copy back purplerabbit) at least for a while and hope that it gets better.

AbbeyA Thu 30-Oct-08 21:45:59

I got to the end but the characters didn't get any less annoying. It was a clever idea but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now