Talk

Advanced search

book suggestions pls!

(16 Posts)
yingers74 Fri 04-Mar-05 22:19:10

Hello, last night had a book club meeting and we did not decide on a book for the next meeting so anyone got any ideas. Oh and we would like a short book as the last one was rather a long one!

macwoozy Fri 04-Mar-05 22:20:23

I've never popped into the book club before, but I love reading. Do you read alot of non fiction?

moondog Fri 04-Mar-05 22:20:43

How about a classic?
'Death in Venice'?
'The Stranger' Camus
What about 'The Go Between'? I love this one so much.

Demented Tue 08-Mar-05 11:09:55

How about Coma by Alex Garland. V short but loads left unsaid that would provide ample discussion IYKWIM.

I have recently enjoyed Angels' Crest by Leslie Schwartz, hailed as the new Lovely Bones, I enjoyed it far more than Lovely Bones but it is a fairly short read.

flamesparrow Tue 08-Mar-05 11:12:12

I'm currently obsessed with The Da Vinci code... sooo much to talk about.

What have you done already though?

grumpyfrumpy Tue 08-Mar-05 11:14:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stickynote Tue 08-Mar-05 11:14:35

A short one that went down very well with our Book Club was Property by Valerie Martin.

flamesparrow Tue 08-Mar-05 11:16:13

Oooh Perfume was great!

I wanna join a book club now....

Yorkiegirl Tue 08-Mar-05 11:18:22

Message withdrawn

bundle Tue 08-Mar-05 11:18:48

notes on a scandal by zoe heller

flic23 Tue 08-Mar-05 12:30:43

reading time travellers wife at the mo really good book highly reccomend

Beansmum Tue 08-Mar-05 12:36:19

second vote for notes on a scandal, really good.

How short is short? What about a collection of stories, First Love, Last Rites by Ian Mcewan should have plenty of material for discussion.

flamesparrow Tue 08-Mar-05 12:45:03

If you just want something light - the Twisted by Jeffery Deaver (I think) is a collection of short stories, mainly murdery types with a twist at the end... some are very clever twists.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 08-Mar-05 12:47:50

here you go, the hundreds that were suggested to me last week

lots of suggestions hth

suzywong Tue 08-Mar-05 12:48:35

Toni Morrison's "Love" is only 200 pages in hardback and is great

or Kate Atkinson's latest "Not the end of the World" is short stories with a link through themes and characters

Or Tracey Chevalier's "Falling Angels" about love and adultery against the Suffragette background in Highgate.

yoyo Tue 08-Mar-05 12:51:18

Julie Myerson's "Something Might Happen" kept me riveted. It has so much emotion and I felt the subject was handled very well. Love and death and everything in between. Apart from DH (who also enjoyed it) I have yet to talk to anyone who has read it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now