Talk

Advanced search

Mukiwa - has anyone read this?

(9 Posts)
slackrunner Fri 10-Oct-08 22:31:01

I thought it was BRILLIANT, although completely harrowing. I will definitely need to go and read it again (I don't say that about many books).

verona Mon 27-Oct-08 08:23:35

Read it a few years ago.
Can't remember too much about it now but did enjoy it. It was v sad, wasn't it?

spammythevampireslayer Mon 27-Oct-08 21:23:16

There is a newer one out called "When a crocodile eats the sun - an african memoire" I think. Also fab.

My dad was at school with Peter Godwin, so I love reading it from that point of view as well.

If you loved that, you will probably love "Don't lets go to the dogs tonight" by Alexandra Fuller, if you have not already read it. One of my favourites as it contains the language, sounds and smells of my childhood. I loved it!

UncleHester Mon 27-Oct-08 21:27:04

Your DAD was at school with Peter Godwin, spammy?

God, that makes me feel old. I know him; he's a contemporary of mine.

I agree it's a good book.

slackrunner Mon 27-Oct-08 21:31:54

Oooh - just seen this.

I've read 'When a Crocodile Eats the Sun' and 'Don't lets go to the dogs tonight', and loved them both. All desperately sad in places though. Any other recommendations please?

I do hope Peter Godwin writes another book; I was gutted to get to the end of 'When a Crocodile Eats the Sun'.

ohdearwhatamess Mon 27-Oct-08 21:33:07

Read it a good few years ago and found it unputdownable.

spammythevampireslayer Tue 28-Oct-08 21:54:39

UncleHester - you make me feel much better, as I have just told a youngster on facebook that he makes me feel like his mom.

My dad was a young dad grinand he was at school with Peter, but not in the same year. I think Dad was a senior prefect when Peter joined as a young kid. They do sometimes meet at reunions, etc...

UncleHester Tue 28-Oct-08 22:07:50

Thank you, spammy - I'm holding on to that crumb of comfort!

cathcat Thu 30-Oct-08 22:45:29

I have read all 3 mentioned here and really liked them all. Going to ask for Lauren St John's 'Rainbow's End' for xmas.
<<disclaimer; can't remember how I know of this book, it might be pants>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now