Talk

Advanced search

To Say Nothing Of The Dog - anyone read it?

(5 Posts)
patriciawentworthheroine Fri 10-Oct-08 20:46:44

Please say someone other than me has read this fabulous mix of time travel, science fiction, Golden Age detective story and loving recreation of Victorian manners!

It's all about a hero who has to travel back to the Victorian age to repair an anomaly (due to too much time travelling by his colleagues) and gets embroiled in croquette games, jumble sales, boat trips up the River Thames etc.

This book is the most heart-warming mix of Jerome K Jerome, PG Wodehouse, Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers - and believe it or not, was written by an American (Connie Willis) but I have yet to find anyone other than me who has read it!

MamaHobgoblin Tue 14-Oct-08 19:43:22

No, I haven't - but it sounds fab! Actually, I reckon my DH would love it, so thanks for the recommendation!

stickytape Tue 14-Oct-08 19:56:11

Yes, I loved it! I have read several of her books, all good.

patriciawentworthheroine Sun 19-Oct-08 20:48:06

I'm so glad someone else has read it.

The only other one I have read was Passengers - a bit weird, a jumble of near-death experiences and the Titanic. Can you recommend any others, stickytape?

FlossCampi Tue 21-Oct-08 23:39:34

I haven't got onto this - yet - but it's been on my list for a while. I still haven't read Jerome K Jerome, and I gather that ought to come first... a treat ahead? Is it Jasper Fforde-y (in terms of literary allusions)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now