Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Boy and Going Solo

(10 Posts)
littlelamb Sat 04-Oct-08 21:31:28

After reading lots of Roald Dahl with dd and us both loving it, I decided to read these books myself. I can't quite believe I haven't read them before tbh, and I enjoyed them so much. It really makes me wish he'd written more about his life. Are any of his other adult books any good? His childrens books are ones I go back to time and again but I'd like to try something new.

gigglewitch Sat 04-Oct-08 21:32:57

will have to go and hunt in cupboard - have read some but cant remember titles - not after reading his entire catalogue of childrens stuff to the dses grin

janeite Sat 04-Oct-08 21:33:29

The other adult ones are, as far as I know, short story collections of creepy tales. You'd probably enjoy them but don't let them anywhere near the children.

WinkyWinkola Sat 04-Oct-08 21:35:15

The adult ones are short story collections like Kiss Kiss.

DH won't have Dahl in the house. Apparently he was a rabid anti Semite. My granny knew him too and said he was vile.

I think he was a genius mind.

luckylady74 Sat 04-Oct-08 21:35:41

I've read some short stories by him called 'Tales of the Unexpected' - they're quite creepy and were made into a tv series.
'Boy' is fantastic - it's used in schools a lot to inspire autobiographical writing. I don't know how old your dd is, but the sweet shop chapter enthralls most children!

littlelamb Sat 04-Oct-08 21:38:30

Winky nooooo! I was sat reading Going Solo and I had no idea that he had been in WWII and in very very real danger- imagine a world without the BFG or Charlie and the Chocloate Factory. Dds bedtime would be bereft shock

TheDuchessOfNork Sat 04-Oct-08 21:48:58

I liked both of those books too - haven't read them for 15 years or more but still remember him being packed off to board (my father did the same), the sweet shop lady getting the head to whack him. The snake stories have stayed with me - the 'snakeman' - that poor dog! And the boy spearing the mamba with a pitchfork. And the man who chased the lion that had his wife. shock Etc!! They're certainly memorable!

<goes to search through library>

MegBusset Sat 04-Oct-08 21:51:01

Oh, I loved those books when I was young!

Have you read 'The Wonderful Story Of Henry Sugar' (I think it's called?) A collection of short stories, fine for kids and adults as far as I can recall.

MegBusset Sat 04-Oct-08 21:53:16

Henry Sugar.

(Minor trivia fact: Quentin Blake went to my old school!)

Sciolist Mon 06-Oct-08 12:55:25

DD is a great RD fan and read Solo last year (aged 9). We have also visited the museum, which is a reasonable day out if you do not have to travel too far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now