Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What happened to Beth and Franny from the Enchanted Wood?

(4 Posts)
Enid Wed 02-Mar-05 10:32:24

Because now we've graduated to the Magic Faraway Tree their names have changed to Bessie and Fanny.

Dd1 very confused and insisting I still call them Beth and Franny which makes reading aloud v difficult.

coppertop Wed 02-Mar-05 10:48:28

I thought it was the other way around. In the old versions they are called Bessie and Fanny but it was decided that this was too old-fashioned (and caused a few sniggers) and so it was changed to Beth and Franny in the newer versions.

Marina Wed 02-Mar-05 10:49:32

Snort Enid . I cannot believe they are still publishing books with Fanny as a girl's name in them in this day and age. Dsis did a piece on Arthur Ransome for Radio 4 on Monday apparently and I still have not managed to get hold of her to hear if she worked the character "Titty" into her broadcast (I'll disown her if she didn't).

Enid Wed 02-Mar-05 12:29:23

well that would make sense as the Faraway Tree is mine from when I was tiny. It does mean that there are characters in it called Dick and Fanny

V difficult to remember to change them back when reading though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now