Talk

Advanced search

eBooks reader - anyone using one?

(12 Posts)
goodie2shoes Fri 03-Oct-08 11:41:01

Hi
I am thinking of getting the ebook reader from Sony.
Anyone got one?
Or any other device?
I dont like reading books on laptop and palm pilot was just too small.
I do love having a paper book, but live in a very small house and always give books away to friends after reading them.
This might solve the problem of regretting giving books away when I feel like rereading them.

MadreInglese Fri 03-Oct-08 11:42:02

At a recent writers' fair I went to they talked about an American digital book, called a kindle I think.

funnypeculiar Fri 03-Oct-08 11:42:50

kindle is still only available in the us, I think...

EffiePerine Fri 03-Oct-08 11:43:32

Dh reads e-books on his iphone - v keen

goodie2shoes Fri 03-Oct-08 12:00:20

I am assuming the iPhone is smaller than a palm pilot.
I can watch videos on a phone about 2 inch square but not read books...
I guess i am getting more from the audio than the picture.

InvisiblePsychomum Fri 03-Oct-08 12:12:36

are you talking about the one available in waterstones???

I am getting one as soon as I get my money thro from my car accident......will be my treat to me, and also help aleviate (sp??) some of the books at home as it should hold 185 books IIRC.

FlossCampi Fri 03-Oct-08 23:04:16

goodie2shoes, I don't own one, but I have played with a Kindle and I have to say it is HORRIBLE. One of the most badly-designed pieces of equipment it has every been my misfortune to encounter.

The Sony Reader has had a lot of vvvv positive reviews - their marketing dept deserve a medal for the number of litbloggers and publishing columnists they have managed to get one out to. I think it sold out in Waterstone's, but I believe the "exclusive" was limited to a fortnight and it's going to be more widely available soon.

Know nuffink about the Iliad but it looks overpriced.

And... the Frankfurt book fair supplement in the Bookseller last week had a tantalising note about one on "e-Paper" which I think it claims is flexible in a similar way to paper or sumfink. That's the one I'm watching, personally.

Ahem. Sorry, I should have warned you that I have got borderline obsessive about this :-)

FlossCampi Fri 03-Oct-08 23:06:27

PS yes the Kindle is only available in the US so far, although I could have sworn there were noises about a UK autumn launch (although they probably called it 'fall' ha ha). I've a feeling there is something funny about your being able to buy a Kindle with a UK credit card, but you can't buy any content....

seeker Fri 03-Oct-08 23:08:42

I played with one in Waterstones yesterday - I want one SOOOO badly! I'm hoping for one for Christmas if I drop enough hints. I don't want it to replace paper books - but to go alongside them.

FlossCampi Fri 03-Oct-08 23:14:32

I can't decide whether pricing the electronic versions the same as paper is "shooting themselves in the foot" or "restraining demand until the supply chain [for the devices] can keep up" (um, and until they've had an opportunity to actually get the price point etc. right).

This is publishing, after all, so I suspect the former grin

RustyBear Fri 03-Oct-08 23:21:40

FlossCampi - When I worked in libraries I always used to look forward to the Bookseller's Frankfurt report, especially for its reporting of the oddest title competition - past winners include:

Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice

Joy of Chickens

The Theory of Lengthwise Rolling

Lesbian Sadomasochism Safety Manual

Living with Crazy Buttocks

Bombproof Your Horse

Joy of Sex: Pocket Edition

and this year's winner:

a self-help manual entitled “If You Want Closure in Your Relationship, Start With Your Legs”

FlossCampi Sun 05-Oct-08 22:30:33

Ah, the Diagram Prize!! They have had the Diagram of Diagrams this year - the winner being:

"Greek Rural Postmen and Their Cancellation Numbers"

I was rooting for the Field Guide to the Shopping Trolleys of North America, personally, but was too disorganised to vote.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now