Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Daphne by Justine Picardie: Eachpeach? Anyone?

(10 Posts)
janeite Tue 30-Sep-08 20:35:29

Has anybody read this?
here

It was recommended by several people but I'm finding it so awful that I really don't think I can continue it. Horribly over-written and with the punctuation skills of a woefully under-educated gnat.

Am I missing something?And what can I read next that I WILL enjoy please?

janeite Tue 30-Sep-08 21:29:39

Nobody?

janeite Wed 01-Oct-08 16:24:45

One more try - is there really nobody on Mumsnet who has read it?

NorksDrift Wed 01-Oct-08 16:48:12

This is next on my reading list as it has been highly recommended. Have you read it?

pageturner Wed 01-Oct-08 16:49:18

Yes, I read it and was disappointed. As you say, over-written and badly-written. Thought the characterisation was pants too.

EachPeachPearMum Wed 01-Oct-08 17:02:58

OH! shock
I'm in!
Thats the first time anyone has ever put a thread out for me grin
(and it took me a day to spot it!)
I haven't read it, sorry. Did you pick it up from reading group? It looks promising, but sometimes we get fooled!
I am reading this atm, and I'm really enjoying it.
Have had a real 'LOST' month- have read....
What Was Lost
The Room of Lost Things
Lost and Found

What was Lost was excellent, and set here, so that's always a bonus! Room of Lost things was very interesting, but Lost and Found was a little disappointing, especially after her first book was so good- a real weepie.

Have been in bed with a chest infection last week, so spent lots of it reading- re-read all the Malory Towers series blush also read Peter Pan in Scarlet which has been hanging around waiting to be read since it was published!

janeite Thu 02-Oct-08 18:21:35

Pageturner - thank you, thank you - I thought it was me. I have been picking it up and putting it down for nearly a month now and last night I decided I really couldn't stand any more. It is AWFUL.

Eachpeach - lol at your excitement over having a thread for you! I felt just that way when the Lost In Austen thread was posted, with my name on it! We're easily pleased aren't we?! Yes, it's a book group recommendation and I feel quite nervous about returning it and having to say anything tbh. Will I be thrown out and cast aside on the high street, with a torrent of hardbacks zooming in pursuit?

This is the first book thread I've been on where I haven't read ANY of the links. Off to have a browse of them.

janeite Thu 02-Oct-08 18:22:42

PS - hope you're feeling better now.

EachPeachPearMum Thu 02-Oct-08 19:37:15

grin -No! We often bring back books and say 'gah- couldn't be bothered to finish that load of dross' or something similar!

BTW- you can have 3 of my links next week smile (the 'Lost' ones)

janeite Thu 02-Oct-08 19:39:44

Phew! Cheers!

I have just started
this - it's huuuuuge, so might keep even me busy for a few days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now