Talk

Advanced search

Getting a Teenage Girl to Read!!!!

(23 Posts)
MabelStark Wed 24-Sep-08 15:33:01

Hi all, have been reading these pages for a while but this is my first time, I think of myself as a real bookworm but a friend of mine had me a bit stumped today!
My friend has a daughter of 13, who is doing ok at school but is just not interested at all in reading or in her English classes at school. Her daughter likes Maths, Science, Geography and attends Drama classes.
My friend thinks that if she could get her into books, her interest in English might ignite and it would improve her spelling and vocab. Ideally she would like a book that they could read together... I ony had a couple of suggestions, Anne of Green Gables and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Can anyone suggest a book a little more contempary, I am out of touch with Teenage/Crossover Fiction. Many thanks

noonki Wed 24-Sep-08 15:39:26

My DSS loves Twilight series - recommended by his friend who is a girl

mumblechum Wed 24-Sep-08 15:42:24

"Elsewhere". Sorry can't remember the author. Got it out of the library recently & it's contemporary and a little offbeat.

witchandchips Wed 24-Sep-08 15:44:17

Anne of Green Gables a bit too young. Think she'd probably go for some science fiction of the john wyndham (day of the triffids, chocky, chrysalids) type

DorrisMcWhirter Wed 24-Sep-08 15:44:55

What about the Northern Light's trilogy?
I second the Twilight series too, they are fantastic (although may depend on how mature she is as probably aimed more at 15/ 16 year olds - however, I enjoyed them too and am 33!)

StormInanEcup Wed 24-Sep-08 15:46:01

Message withdrawn

witchandchips Wed 24-Sep-08 15:47:17

malorie blackman (noughts and crosses) is also good

also Isabelle Allende has done a few books for teenages (i actually find these easier to take that her adult books tbh)

noonki Wed 24-Sep-08 15:48:19

I 3rd Malorie Blackman

and though not contemporary I loved loved loved To kill a mockingbird at that age (and still do)

witchandchips Wed 24-Sep-08 15:51:24

Nick hornby wrote a book "Slam" (?) about and for teenages. Teenage couple gets pregnant finds it hard + then copes. very good

Also she might go for something more factual like "wild swans"

PrimulaVeris Wed 24-Sep-08 15:51:26

Some Jacqueline Wilson books are more teenagey

Also 'Princess diaries' and other books by Meg Cabot

If she has issues with English & reading these are not difficult to read.

BitOfFun Wed 24-Sep-08 16:04:38

Louise Rennison? Malorie Blackman (quite scary tho). I would say Wild Swans is off-puttingly long if you aren't a natural.

Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Cosmic by Frank Cottrell-Boyce. Marley and Me if she loves dogs. Some Nicci French thrillers if you check the content first.

It depends very much on the girl tbh. What we need to find is content that is pitched to her interests and maturity level first, and then think about how challenging/easy a read it is, depending on what's required. I work in a bookshop and help people find the right book every day, but it is definitely more a question of the above than just gender, age and what we used to love ourselves. Is there anything else you can tell us?

HonoriaGlossop Wed 24-Sep-08 16:11:12

funnily enough I remember at this age (while trying to be too cool for school with all my friends, talking about boys, passing round the naughty pages of Danielle Steel in tutor group etc) what I found and LOVED to read was a) Goergette Heyer and b) PG Wodehouse

grin

So I'd suggest some real old fashioned 'light' stuff like that, you never know, she might love it!

HonoriaGlossop Wed 24-Sep-08 16:11:50

Do I mean Danielle Steel? I might mean Jackie Collins actually grin

NoblesseOblige Wed 24-Sep-08 16:14:02

luoise rennison - "knocked out by my nunganungas" and so forth are ok, also cathy cassidy and older end jacqueline wilson too - if she is reluctant to read i'd be inclined to hopd off on the shared reading sessions until she gets a bit more into it on her own - might scare her off all together?

hanaflower Wed 24-Sep-08 16:14:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoblesseOblige Wed 24-Sep-08 16:15:24

point horrors are also still around, stephenie mayer's vampire series are really well written and darren shan is meant to be good...thgou he doesn't float my literary boat personally...

pointydog Wed 24-Sep-08 16:31:27

You want pacy, easy to read stuff if you want to try to get her interested in reading, not the classics.

You could try a couple by ANthony Horowitz - Groosham Grange, Return to Groosham Grange and Granny are ace. Catherine MacPhail has written some good pacy social issues ones (Missing, Wheels). What about Jacqueline Wilson's ones for older readers like Kiss?

Ultimately, though, I think some people are just not at all keen on reading and writing.

DrHorrible Wed 24-Sep-08 16:34:14

Twilight!!!!

Vampire Love Story with an incredibly charismatic leading man/vamp.

DrHorrible Wed 24-Sep-08 16:34:59

What does she like to watch on tv/films? it gives an idea of genres

MabelStark Thu 25-Sep-08 16:34:21

Am overwhelmed by the response thank you so much everyone. As she is quite a girly girl think will buy her the Meg Cabots and see how those go down. Will also pass your advice to my friend - thanks again. I love this board!!!!!

teafortwo Thu 25-Sep-08 16:43:50

I would suggest....

ANYTHING SHE wants to read!!!

Buy her a 20 quid book token - drop her and a mate off in Waterstones and come back in no less than one hour!

StayFrosty Thu 25-Sep-08 16:54:27

I really really like Robert Swindells, he does thrillers aimed at teenagers and they are great:

Abomination is about a girl raised by cultish religious parents, and I stayed up all night to finish it, Stone Cold is about a serial killer who preys on homeless teens. The subject matter sounds really adult, but they are written in a way that is totally age appropriate; Stone Cold is often done in schools as a Y9 text.

The Gossip Girl books are supposed to be a lot better than the TV show too, although I haven't read them, but tis somethign she may be already aware of, and so more receptive to, iyswim.

stleger Thu 25-Sep-08 16:55:47

If she likes 'non fiction' type subjects, would she like biographies better? The Vampire series are very popular too. Also Louise Rennison, Sue Limb etc. who 'live together' on bookshop shelves if she likes boyfriends and crises.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now