Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone read The Collector by John Fowles????

(16 Posts)
Jazzicatz Fri 19-Sep-08 13:05:31

Really good I thought!

christiana Fri 19-Sep-08 13:06:38

Message withdrawn

Spidermama Fri 19-Sep-08 13:07:28

Yes. Harrowing yet gripping.

Jazzicatz Fri 19-Sep-08 13:07:28

Great at the end when he does it all again!

CaptainFlameSparrowWifeOfJack Fri 19-Sep-08 13:09:31

Ooooooooooooooh one of my favourite books in the whole wide world ever grin

My english lit teacher told me I would love it (not too sure what she was implying hmm) and I have treasured it ever since.

Leant (lent?) it to two people and both said they couldn't get on with it hmm

Jazzicatz Fri 19-Sep-08 13:11:47

I always think the mark of a good book is one where you think about it long after completing it - I am still thinking about some of the themes it evoked. Really good and as you say very harrowing!

OrmIrian Fri 19-Sep-08 13:12:57

Yes. I like him.

Hassled Fri 19-Sep-08 13:13:16

It's one of my favourite books - just chilling. The writing skill in switching partway from first person nutter to first person young articulate girl is astonishing. Aother of my favourite books (I have rather a lot blush) is The Magus by John Fowles - the sort of book you keep thinking about afterwards.

Aniyan Fri 19-Sep-08 13:15:36

Just re-read it a couple of weeks ago - I read it for the first time when I was about 18 and thought that the girl in it was just like me - I have this really overblown entry in my diary where I'm raving about it - exclamation marks and omigods all over the place.

I read it again to see what the girl seemed like to me now I'm 35, and I have come to the conclusion that I must have been a right pretentious PITA back then!

I love the way he writes the different characters - still found it very creepy, and found myself trying to puzzle out possible escape plans that might have worked.

OrmIrian Fri 19-Sep-08 13:18:12

I just about remember the Magus hassled. Will have to try it again. And then of course there is the French Lieutenant's Woman.

BeckyBendyLegs Fri 19-Sep-08 13:18:32

One of my all time 'favourite' reads although not in a 'that was nice' way. I found it totally gripping and horrifying.

Jazzicatz Fri 19-Sep-08 13:19:29

I found the jump between the two characters really good and how the nutter only spoke of her and his feelings for her and she only spoke of the man she was in love with - with very little regard or comment about her captor!

CaptainFlameSparrowWifeOfJack Fri 19-Sep-08 15:18:07

It was the way he seemed so desperately besotted with her, and then he just flicked to the next when she was done with

CaptainFlameSparrowWifeOfJack Fri 19-Sep-08 15:18:36

<goes to find it to read again, shoving aside the 10 other books waiting to be read for the first time>

TsarChasm Fri 19-Sep-08 15:24:08

Yes ages ago. He's excellent. Have you read The Magus?

Kally Thu 02-Oct-08 03:18:21

I have just read that book, picked it up in oblivion at a charity shop. It was good and I finished it quickly, but it made me feel 'grotty', IYKWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now