Advanced search

Anyone read Phillipa Gregory??

(12 Posts)
dyzzidi Fri 25-Feb-05 15:54:19

Just read three of the books!

The other Boleyn girl
The Queens Fool
The Virgins lover.

I could not put them down anyone know if her other books are as good?

Anyone love these books as much as i did?

Yorkiegirl Fri 25-Feb-05 15:56:11

Message withdrawn

dyzzidi Fri 25-Feb-05 15:58:39

I really enjoyed the others so they come highly recommended by me. I usually read thrillers and crime novels but these were a refreshing change and I have even just ordered The Diary of Anne Boleyn!!!

Hated history at school amazing how much we change isn't it?

Yorkiegirl Fri 25-Feb-05 16:00:05

Message withdrawn

tribpot Fri 25-Feb-05 16:04:52

I find her historical books excellent (although not so keen on The Virgin's Lover) - the Wideacre trilogy is very gripping, as is The Wise Woman, although quite gruesome. I've read Earthly Joys but not Virgin Earth, not quite so sure about those.

Her contemporary novels I'm not quite so keen on. Zelda's Cut was good, The Little House not so much, and the one set in the 20s (can't find the title now!) was pretty rubbish, possibly one of her earlier ones.

Lua Fri 25-Feb-05 16:08:26

I really enjoyed the queen's fool. Was looking out for the virgin lover, but somehow missed was out. Shall I get it? Trib, do you want to trade for some other book ?

JanH Fri 25-Feb-05 16:18:18

Did I imagine it, or did Philippa Gregory once (under a pseudonym) write a hilarious weekly column in the Guardian about her travails living somewhere like the Yorkshire Dales with one child and her then husband whom she called le Patron?

I just read her profile on her website and there is not a mention so maybe it wasn't her...she has an intriguing family though including a daughter and stepdaughter both called Victoria!!!! I wonder how that works out? (<<Who do you love? In alphabetical order (to avoid complaints) my son Adam, my husband Anthony, my stepson Francis my stepson Marc, my stepson Patrick, my stepdaughter Samantha, my daughter Victoria and my stepdaughter also Victoria, my sister and her family, and my friends especially (in alphabetical order) Claire and Tine.>>)

The only one I've read is Mrs Hartley and the Growth Centre, ages ago but seem to remember enjoying it. I must try The Other Boleyn Girl sometime.

Dior Fri 25-Feb-05 19:25:19

Message withdrawn

Caribbeanqueen Fri 25-Feb-05 19:30:17

I have read those three as well and loved all of them. I have another one of hers to read but it's in a queue!

I find that her books leave me thinking about them for a while afterwards, whereas a lot of others I seem to forget almost instantly.

tribpot Fri 25-Feb-05 19:33:37

Lua - I have it in hardback so not really the lightest book for a trade I do have two copies of The Other Boleyn Girl if anyone would like the sparesy though!

piffle Fri 25-Feb-05 19:46:59

yep!!!!
read everything and she is very readable!!

Hazellnut Sun 27-Feb-05 20:15:42

LOved The Other Boleyn Girl and had just started reading The Queens Fool when I had to go into hospital early and deliver DD and haven't quite found the time to start reading it again (DD is 5 weeks tomorrow).... Will do though as was enjoying it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now