Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me a Douglas Kennedy book

(11 Posts)
MiaWallace Sun 14-Sep-08 17:20:20

Seen his name mentioned a lot recently. Is there anything of his particularly good?

Always looking to try new authors

CostaRicanCod Sun 14-Sep-08 17:22:13

oh god its not high brow otyu knwo btu is good
why not start by pulicaiton date

poppyknot Sun 14-Sep-08 17:23:48

State of the Nation, The Pursuit of Happiness.

I did enjoy them in an easy-to-read, escapist sort of way!

BitOfFun Sun 14-Sep-08 17:31:49

A Special Relationship is superb, IMO. The blurb says "A true page turner about a woman whose entire life is turned upside down in a very foreign place where they speak her language. 'About an hour after I met Tony Thompson, he changed my life. I know that sounds just a little melodramatic, but it's the truth. Or, at least, as true as anything a journalist will tell you.' Sally Goodchild is a thirty-seven year old American who, after nearly two decades as a highly independent journalist, finds herself pregnant and in London... married to an English foreign correspondent, Tony Thompson, whom she met while they were both on assignment in Cairo. From the outset Sally's relationship with both Tony and London is an uneasy one - especially as she finds her husband and his city to be far more foreign than imagined. But her adjustment problems soon turn to nightmare - as she discovers that everything can be taken down and used against you... especially by a spouse who now considers you an unfit mother and wants to bar you from ever seeing your child again."

And I also enjoyed the novella The Dead Heart. The blurb on it says "Travelling on his own in Australia, a rootless journalist with mid-life blues picks up a hitchhiker, Angie, at a petrol station, and enjoys a week of sun, surf, sex and swill. Just when he thinks it's time to move on, he wakes up in a nightmare beyond reason, from which there is no escape." It was great, really black in its humour too.

LaVieEnRose Sun 14-Sep-08 17:37:41

Oooh yes A Special Relationship. You will end up hating the bloke!

MiaWallace Sun 14-Sep-08 18:27:33

Thanks for the suggestions.

A special relationship looks good. Will add it to my amazon order

kitkat9 Thu 18-Sep-08 22:10:27

Pursuit of Happiness is fantastic!

Special Relationship also v good

The rest are all good stories, except his last one which was a bit daft - still worth a read though

MrsMuddle Thu 18-Sep-08 22:57:18

The Dead Heart was so different from the other ones. I really enjoyed it though, but it was as if it was written by another author.

tangarine Thu 18-Sep-08 23:06:49

I've only read The Pursuit of Happiness, but I did love it (and re-read it recently and it held up as well second time round). I keep meaning to get some of his other books,.

RunningGirl Fri 19-Sep-08 22:13:12

I've really enjoyed all of his apart from the latest one - woman in the fifth which was totally ridiculous. One before that was not so great either (can't even remember the name of it) Agree pursuit of happiness and special relationship are the best ones

bran Fri 19-Sep-08 22:20:24

I liked The Dead Heart best and I also like the one about the photographer (The Big Picture I think). I really didn't like A Special Relationship at all, but I don't think it was bad I think I just read it at the wrong time so found it very depressing. I've just finished the State of the Nation and it was good, but had a bit of a dull section in the middle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now