Talk

Advanced search

Good book for dh

(33 Posts)
marymoocow Wed 10-Sep-08 14:37:21

Dh wants to read a book, but has no idea what to go for. Anyone with any good suggestions, as he has never really read a great deal before.
Just realised I've made him sound like a complete idiot, but hopefully someone will understand what I mean grin

Thanks

squeaver Wed 10-Sep-08 14:38:46

My dh likes Carl Hiassen. Funny, fast-moving, easy to read. Or Elmore Leonard.

Rubyrubyruby Wed 10-Sep-08 14:40:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rubyrubyruby Wed 10-Sep-08 14:42:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cookinmama Wed 10-Sep-08 14:44:32

what sort of tv does he like? Sci-fi, comedy? and then go for something along the same lines

marymoocow Wed 10-Sep-08 14:44:35

ooh thanks. Will have a look at those and show him tonight. He's decided he needs to be a better role model for ds, but didn't know where to start really.

squeaver Wed 10-Sep-08 14:45:27

Or what type of films? That's a good starting point.

SummerLightning Wed 10-Sep-08 14:47:14

My other half doesn't like very "challenging" books, he reads thrillers like Lee Child, Harlan Coben, likes older John grishams.
He likes harry Potter too
Also he really liked Ken Folletts Pillars of the Earth (so did I for that matter, very gripping but LONG!)
Mine's not an idiot either grin but reading for him has to be very low effort if you see what I mean!

marymoocow Wed 10-Sep-08 14:48:14

He likes the historical documentaries (god he sounds boring grin, and the discovery type programmes.
He has a weird sense of humour, so not sure what type of comedy to go for really.
Think it will be a case of just dipping in until he hits on something.

MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 15:11:26

I can't recommend highly enough "A SPOT OF BOTHER" by Mark Haddon

It is so underrated.

I've also read Mark Haddon's "The Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time" which is also fantastic

Kind of black comedy but you can relate to every bit of "A spot of bother"

the curious incident (I think is his first novel) and is written through the eyes of a 15yo lad with Aspergers

Both good

cocolepew Wed 10-Sep-08 15:13:29

What about a biography?

And what do you mean Lee Child etc aren't 'challenging'?! shock

snowleopard Wed 10-Sep-08 15:15:29

If he likes music or has ever been in a band, he might like The Ossians by Doug Johnstone, which I've just read. I thought it was an easy read, not great literature, but page-turning.

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 10-Sep-08 15:15:44

Yes, A Spot of Bother very good !
How about John O'Farrell ? Nick Hornby ? Tim Lott ?
Loved Toast too
How about Peter Ackroyd if he likes historical kind of stuff

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 10-Sep-08 15:16:13

Biog of John Peel

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 10-Sep-08 15:18:37

My DH is currently working through teh Sharpe series also Flashman are good,

David Baldcci - thrillers

If he likes cricket can highly reccommend Penguins Stopped play

SummerLightning Wed 10-Sep-08 15:39:30

Not read any Lee Child keep meaning to. Just assumed they weren't challenging from a) the fact that DH reads them b) the fact that he reads them in about 2hrs flat! I have heard they are "the intelligent man's airport thriller" though so I was assuming they are not trash like some of the crap he reads grin
I also like Mark Haddon, and Nick Hornby, Nick hornby in particular quite blokey?

cornflakegirl Wed 10-Sep-08 15:42:54

My DH also reads very little. Books he has read and enjoyed include the His Dark Materials trilogy, The Curious Incident... and Penguins Stopped Play. He is currently reading A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian.

cornflakegirl Wed 10-Sep-08 15:43:58

(DH and I both really liked Penguins Stopped Play even though neither of us are particularly bothered about cricket.)

SummerLightning Wed 10-Sep-08 15:45:40

What about something by Robert Harris, Enigma, Pompeii, etc?
Historical, and gripping, quite easy to read?

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 10-Sep-08 15:49:33

Patrick O'Brian for seafaring stuff !
Nevil Shute

MuffinMclay Wed 10-Sep-08 16:04:22

Jasper Fforde? My dh loves them and finds them funny (not my cup of tea).

BitOfFun Wed 10-Sep-08 16:06:33

Christopher Brookmyre is brilliant, if he fancies a fast-paced comic thriller which is clever but not too heavy. I love all of them!

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 10-Sep-08 16:06:59

Agent Zigazg

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 10-Sep-08 16:07:10

yes, dh big Brookmyre fan..also Jake Arnott

procrastinatingparent Wed 10-Sep-08 16:18:10

I adore reading them (and DH now asks for one when he is bored of his worthy reading) but I don't think I would call Lee Child challenging. They are complete page-turners though if you want something gripping.

Another vote for Robert Harris.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now