Talk

Advanced search

So, I want to buy some second hand books online...

(14 Posts)
Cies Wed 10-Sep-08 09:41:27

Can anyone recommend a good one stop shop?
It´s novels I´m after.

I know that on Amazon you get the option to buy used from different sellers, but I want to keep the postage down by buying them all from the same place.

IorekByrnison Wed 10-Sep-08 09:59:38

AbeBooks

overthemill Wed 10-Sep-08 10:01:08

thegreenmetropolis

Cies Wed 10-Sep-08 10:13:26

Ok , I´ll have a look at those. Thanks

Cies Wed 10-Sep-08 10:55:53

Well, here´s my list so far, from Abebooks.

Tales of the City -Armistead Maupin
Notes on a Scandal - Zoe heller
Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood
Cloud Atlas - David Michael
Until I find you - John Irving
Never Let me go - Kazuo Ishiguro
The tenderness of wolves - Steff Penney
Oranges are not the only fruit - Jeanette Winterson

I think they might all be a bit samey? Lot´s of what would be called ´women´s fiction´?

So, can anyone recommend something a little different to add to the mix?

Cies Wed 10-Sep-08 11:05:33

no one?

overthemill Wed 10-Sep-08 11:06:07

Tales of the City -Armistead Maupin loved this
Notes on a Scandal - Zoe heller loved this
Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood love her but can't get in to this
Cloud Atlas - David Michael not read
Until I find you - John Irving love him generally, not read this one.. am loving 'cider house rules' at the moment and also adored 'widow for one year'
Never Let me go - Kazuo Ishiguro hated this
The tenderness of wolves - Steff Penney loved this, v surprised
Oranges are not the only fruit - Jeanette Winterson hated this

looks like a good list - could you get from the library though? even cheaper grin

Cies Wed 10-Sep-08 11:15:30

I live in Spain! Hence massive book buying splurge every now and again. I didn´t have room in my suitcase this summer to really indulge myself at the charity shops near my parents´ house grin

overthemill Thu 11-Sep-08 08:37:37

i will do a list from my book group recent reads - you might also check out the book clubs on here for recommendations and the holiday reading threads grin

Cies Thu 11-Sep-08 08:39:29

I did skim through a few threads, and in fact that´s where I got my inspiration from mostly.

In the end, I went with the ones listed above, plus a couple of classics that I´ve never got around to reading - Persuasion and Wuthering Heights.

overthemill Thu 11-Sep-08 08:46:35

well i hope you love them. come back and let me know!

squilly Thu 11-Sep-08 10:43:31

I loved all the Maupin books and found them really well written and absorbing. I cared about all the characters deeply, so they're very well written.

Alias Grace was great and probably the closest to women's fiction.

Cloud Atlas was totally different. I don't think you'd ever class it as women's fiction at all. It's a hybrid of history, science fiction and mystery. I personally have added it to my favourite books of all times list so for me, it's a real plus point in any reading list.

Other books I've read and enjoyed this year include Sebastian Falks, Engelby; Sally Vickers, Instances of the Number 3 and Miss Garnet's Angel, both beautiful books.

If you want Alias Grace for the price of postage to spain, I can send you a copy. Just cat me. I don't think I have Cloud Atlas any more. I lent it out and it's not back yet.

overthemill Thu 11-Sep-08 10:52:31

oh yes i am in readitswapit and its a great way of swapping books. not sure if theyy post to spain but i would do so if cheapest po was ok

Cies Tue 16-Sep-08 18:19:39

Thanks for the offer Squilly, but all the books arrived this morning smile.

I´m really looking forward to getting stuck in. I´ve chosen Notes on a Scandal to start.

I´ll let you know what I think about Cloud Atlas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now