(12 Posts)
Juliette108 Wed 03-Sep-08 17:59:45

Has anybody else read this?

janeite Wed 03-Sep-08 19:46:50

Yes!

ChukkyPig Wed 03-Sep-08 19:52:02

And me!

squilly Thu 04-Sep-08 11:19:09

Me too. Liked it a lot, but didn't like the ending too much.

Juliette108 Thu 04-Sep-08 12:18:03

Brill. I wanted to see what other people thought. I really enjoyed it, and the relative originality of it, especially as I read it after 'The Outcast' which I found tedious and very very average.
I found the ending unsatisfactory, but then I do most endings. In fact, I sometimes read them first as I know they will be such a let down.

Nymphadora Thu 04-Sep-08 12:39:03

Yes that was my thoughts too, really enjoyed and then at the end it was just like huh?

janeite Thu 04-Sep-08 22:13:48

It really irritated me. Normally I wouldn't have finished something like that but I was desperate for reading matter at the time!

I thought it had some really exciting descriptions and at times I was quite gripped by events but ultimately I thought she was just using the novel as a vehicle to show off about quantum physics and I got really bored by that as it really seemed a sort of "look how clever I am" sort of over-doing which took over of from the plot. I couldn't warm to Ariel much either.

Ultimately I just thought it was pretentious and that was a real shame because I think if she cut out all the showing off she could be a really good writer.

The cover was gorgeous though!

gothicmama Thu 04-Sep-08 22:15:39

I enjoyed it although it is not as good as Pirsig's Lila

AwakeStill Thu 04-Sep-08 22:32:40

The author has written a series of crime novels that are better imho.

BeckyBendyLegs Sat 06-Sep-08 11:04:52

Oooooh I loved this book! Scarlotte Thomas writes really good books, try PopCo as well and the one about the boy who couldn't go out in the sun, can't remember the title.

mymblemummy Sat 06-Sep-08 20:17:04

I mostly enjoyed it but I found the clever clever physics stuff rather spoilt the flow and was a bit pretentious.

Not a patch on Jasper Fforde, though.

Flamesparrow Sun 07-Sep-08 15:31:42

I enjoyed it, but felt it was trying too hard.

Bought it for the cover & page edging blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now