Talk

Advanced search

Book for nine year old (boy)?

(16 Posts)
ChocolateGirl Fri 18-Feb-05 21:27:43

Hi, sorry if this has come up before but a boy we know (not very well though) is soon to be nine and I would like to get him a book for his birthday. Any ideas/recommendations. I looked at Captain Underpants but wasn't sure if it was too young... it is in the 5-8 grouping on Amazon. I also looked at Jenny Nimmo and Jenny Oldfield but didn't have a clue really as I don't know any nine year olds.

Any ideas gratefully received.

MrsBigD Fri 18-Feb-05 21:40:57

I'm quite certain my friend's son devoured Harry Potter at the age of 9/10 so might be an idea.

also you could check out Books for Children to see what kind of books they suggest for the age group

Kinders Fri 18-Feb-05 21:42:01

How about anything by Roald dahl

jangly Fri 18-Feb-05 21:43:31

Any Colin Dann, or perhaps Robert Westall.

Yorkiegirl Fri 18-Feb-05 21:44:30

Message withdrawn

littlemissbossy Fri 18-Feb-05 21:48:12

another vote for Captain Underpants, my ds's loved these at that age

jangly Fri 18-Feb-05 21:48:48

Any of these Animals of Farthing Wood et al

sobernow Fri 18-Feb-05 21:52:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

roisin Fri 18-Feb-05 22:05:43

Jenny Nimmo: Midnight for Charlie Bone is great.

Horowitz: Stormbreaker is the first Alex Rider book that YG mentioned.

If you don't know him that well, how about getting him a book token and saying you thought about getting XXX, but you weren't sure what he liked? Or ask his parents what he likes?

My ds1 has a list of about 8 books being published this year that he can't wait to read. He's a keen reader, but would be quite disappointed if someone went out and bought something 'inappropriate' for him, when he has this stack that he's waiting to read iyswim.

Some of his peers would be pretty disappointed with a book tbh, but don't let that put you off!

roisin Fri 18-Feb-05 22:07:07

Fighting Fantasty books can be popular with this age group too.

or Horrible History, Murderous Maths series books seem to go down well too.

sparklymieow Fri 18-Feb-05 22:08:13

My Ds is 7 and has the reading levels of a 8 1/2 year old and at the moments is reading Charlie and the chocolate factory.

80sMum Fri 18-Feb-05 22:10:06

Ds loved anything by Roald Dahl at that age, also all the Narnia books and the Willard Price 'Amazon Adventure' type of stories. He was also quite keen on The Famous Five, though I guess they might be a bit old-fashioned now. What about 'Horrible Histories?' They can be quite fun to read.

SecondhandRose Sat 19-Feb-05 09:04:59

My 9 yr old old has just read a Series of Unfortunate Events (5 books so far) and has just started Lemony Snickets The Bad Beginning.

He likes the Rob Childs Football series too.

Another vote for Captain Underpants here too.

Philly Sat 19-Feb-05 11:46:56

Anthony horowitz does a series before
Alex Rider which starts with the
Falcons Malteser,very popular with ds1 when he was 9

suzywong Sat 19-Feb-05 11:48:53

another vote for Charlie and the Chocolate factory, what about the Narnia books?

Am not au fait with anything post 1975 though, sorry

ChocolateGirl Sat 19-Feb-05 20:04:46

Thank you everyone for replying, that is really helpful.

I will probably steer clear of Narnia, Harry Potter, etc. as maybe they are too well known and he is likely to have them already. Roisin, I always give kids books for presents and try and choose something good but maybe not so well known - so he's no choice there, I'm afraid!

Now I know you are all so helpful, there will be no peace!! I will be on here asking for recommendations for all ages every time there is a birthday!! Thank you again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now