Talk

Advanced search

half a yellow sun

(11 Posts)
candyfluff Mon 25-Aug-08 20:21:11

just ordered this from our local library so can anyone tell me what its about and is it any good?

Habbibu Mon 25-Aug-08 20:22:19

Fab fab fab but very very sad - about the war in Biafra (about which I knew nothing at all, and it prompted me to read more about it).

wb Mon 25-Aug-08 20:29:38

I think very good. And another book by the same author 'Purple Hibiscus' is even better. It is also about life in Nigeria but not the war.

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 26-Aug-08 17:59:19

Very good book but quite harrowing in places. When I was a child, we had a Biafran family living on our street so it was good to learn more about the war, even after so many years.

rosmerta Tue 26-Aug-08 18:45:14

Agree with what everyone else has said. I would never have picked this book up myself but we read it in our book group & I'm really glad we did, even though it is pretty harrowing.

Madlentileater Tue 26-Aug-08 18:51:12

Yes, very good but very sad, and I was so ashamed to realise that I knew nothing at all about this war.

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 19:35:29

I was another ashamed not to know anything much really about the war blush

AbbaFan Tue 26-Aug-08 19:44:50

I just finished reading this 3 weeks ago.

I picked it for my book-club, as I had heard lot's of great things about it on here.

Was brilliant, I loved the characters and a great story, but yes very sad.

artichokes Tue 26-Aug-08 19:50:39

I loved this book. I was total absorbed and could not put it down. It is about the Nigerian/Biafran war but its told through the personal stories of three characters: a house boy, his master's gf and her sister's British boyfriend. The personal stories are gripping and through them you get a real feeling for what happened in Nigeria/Biafra and what it was like to live through.

nkf Tue 26-Aug-08 19:52:50

I did a bit of sneak reading of Purple Hibiscus. It was a friend's copy and we were on holiday together. I thought it was fantastic.

Lucifera Thu 28-Aug-08 13:42:50

I've read HOAYS and Purple Hibiscus, thought Yellow Sun was much better, really excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now