Talk

Advanced search

'Easy to follow plots' any suggestions?

(10 Posts)
stleger Mon 25-Aug-08 18:24:47

I have been asked in work (bookshop!) to compile a list of books to be read to a group of elderly people. The lady reading wants easy to follow plots. I think she is keen on stories of 'times past', to start reminiscence sessions. I have authors like Michael Morpurgo to go on, she likes him! I think she is keen on the idea of books for older children (not Jacqueline Wilson though...) I'd be grateful for ideas. I am also suggesting things like Maeve Binchy short stories, but without knowing the audience it is difficult.

Dragonbutter Mon 25-Aug-08 21:18:39

do elderly people actually need easy to follow plots?

stleger Mon 25-Aug-08 21:29:23

I think they are in varying degrees of early dementia. The lady I am dealing with is in her seventies, so I think she isn't being ageist.

Dragonbutter Mon 25-Aug-08 21:48:02

ok.
envy of your job in a bookshop.
what about running a search on amazon for books for older children, see what you can find for 'times past'

SummerLightning Wed 27-Aug-08 11:26:24

What about the book thief? I have heard although not for teenagers a lot of older children like it? Might be a bit long though.

What about Noughts and Crosses? Teenage book, easy to follow. I enjoyed it as an adult.

stleger Wed 27-Aug-08 12:29:00

Hard to tell without knowing the people! Bookshops are interesting to work in, but you need to be a mindreader! (DD1 liked Book Thief, it would be long to read aloud - buying a cd would be easier!) I have suggested Maeve Binchy and HE Bates types too. I was going to suggest Roddy Doyle, lots of swearing....the organiser is frightfully nice, it would be great to hear her read it.

SummerLightning Wed 27-Aug-08 12:46:06

What about one of the Ladies Detective Agency books?? They are very easy to read and follow.

stleger Wed 27-Aug-08 13:24:12

I will add them to the list, I like them! For furtive reading in work...

Buckets Thu 28-Aug-08 11:35:55

Ooh ooh my mum's 1st book is all about older peeps misbehaving, it's very funny and quite touching too. Look here.

stleger Thu 28-Aug-08 15:22:50

That sounds a bit more jolly and less worthy than the 'group organiser' suggested!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now