Talk

Advanced search

Sepulchre - Am I missing the point?

(11 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Sun 24-Aug-08 16:35:22

Just ploughed through this, thinking it would get better, but it was not to be.

I enjoyed Labyrinth, so had expected to like this.

I thought it was absolute tosh, though.

Was I wrong?

janeite Sun 24-Aug-08 16:40:33

Not wrong; I just thought it was totally devoid of emotion. Well researched, evocative descriptions etc - just one-dimensional characters who I really didn't/couldn't care about.

Then again, I didn't get beyond about 40 pages with "Labyrinth".

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 24-Aug-08 16:42:14

I can't remember Labyrinth particularly, other than I did enjoy it. With Sepulchre, I thought it was actually quite poorly written - very prosaic.

janeite Sun 24-Aug-08 16:43:59

And some appalling grammar, especially when she was trying to be the American character.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 24-Aug-08 16:45:36

And all those bloody coincidences and chance meetings!

Lauriefairycake Sun 24-Aug-08 16:50:06

I hated Labyrinth and preferred Sepulchre

I liked all the card stuff, thought it was interesting but in general I don't like her writing. I'm not some weirdo either who bought the second book even though I didn't like the first - my granny-in-law knows her daughter and has bought both books for me.

I'm hoping she doesn't write another as I'll be getting it for Christmas grin

janeite Sun 24-Aug-08 16:52:39

If I hadn't have been on holiday and desperate for reading matter, I probably wouldn't have finished it. But that was the only thing in the hotel "library" (ie books that people had left behind) that wasn't chick lit or a blood and guts detective novel.

Buckets Thu 28-Aug-08 16:59:11

She's very into cramming in her research isn't she? Great long sections of unliterary text, reads like badly cut&pasted homework.

rolledhedgehog Mon 01-Sep-08 18:33:23

I liked Labyrinth but I really did not enjoy Sepulchure. It bored me.

Freckle Mon 01-Sep-08 18:34:53

I thought both books would benefit from more sex wink.

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 01-Sep-08 18:36:54

Hated it.

Liberated left the book in Malta airport - what a relief and I normally hang on to books for dear life.

Really rubbish writing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now