Talk

Advanced search

Can Any Mother Help Me?

(9 Posts)
VintageGardenia Fri 22-Aug-08 21:52:02

Just wondering has anyone else read this? I'm in the middle of it and it's really about an early (1930s on) print-based incarnation of Mumsnet.

hester Fri 22-Aug-08 21:54:11

Lovely book, I thought. I seem to remember a long thread about this some months ago.

littlelamb Fri 22-Aug-08 21:57:08

Yes, I read it a few months ago and thought it was really lovely. I was pg when I read it and marvelled about how stiff upper lip some of them were about what must have been pretty horrible births iirc

VintageGardenia Fri 22-Aug-08 21:57:11

Oh I did think this might have been done already but didn't see anything obvious. It is lovely though.

VintageGardenia Fri 22-Aug-08 21:58:07

Having given birth only 2 and a half weeks ago I found the birth stories absolutely fascinating!

cmotdibbler Fri 22-Aug-08 21:59:38

I really enjoyed it, mostly I think because they were writing only for themselves its a very honest picture of the lives of real women

VintageGardenia Sat 23-Aug-08 09:25:44

The honesty is scorching. I've just read the account of the one who fell in love with the doctor (terribly Brief Encounter) and it was gripping. Not at all self-dramatising or self-pitying. I'm not mad about the intervening bits, the bits that the author has written herself, but the magazine excerpts are superb stuff.

Bronze Wed 27-Aug-08 16:25:37

I really enjoyed it though I have to agree the bits written by the women themselves were much better than the authors parts.

claricebeansmum Wed 27-Aug-08 16:27:04

I thought it was really good.

MN is just reinventing the wheel wink

I agree that the honesty was almost painful sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now