Talk

Advanced search

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell - anyone read it?

(21 Posts)
Klio Wed 20-Aug-08 22:13:39

I am about a third of the way through and and am finding it hard going! Is it worth sticking with it or should I put it on one side. I am usually a voracious reader and love a variety of genres from Classic literature to modern novels, but I am really struggling with this novel. What do people think?

janeite Wed 20-Aug-08 22:19:41

I tried and failed - couldn't muster up enough enthusiasm to finish it.

Klio Wed 20-Aug-08 22:22:58

I feel like gouging my eyes out so I don't have to read any more!

janeite Wed 20-Aug-08 22:24:23

Just put it down and walk away - life is too short to read books that you're not enjoying!

ScottishMummy Wed 20-Aug-08 22:29:41

if a book does not enthuse and enthral i don't continue.wont get that time back.wasted time you know

wasted too much time on many books that werent worth it

Klio Wed 20-Aug-08 22:33:11

Yeah that is what I was thinking! I suppose I just wanted to check with some other mnetters first. If I was deluged by a flood of people enthusing about the book and how amazing it gets I may have stuck with it, but I think not!

jezzemx Sun 24-Aug-08 20:22:35

Tried to finish it last year and I gave up. Something I hate doing, even if a book is hard going I can normally persevere but I just banged my head off this book (gave me a headache because it's that bloody heavy)and put it back on the bookshelf.

ChukkyPig Sun 24-Aug-08 20:37:33

Yes - and I really enjoyed it. From what I remember it got going about 1/2 way through.

But, it's the sort of book I enjoy so I percevered, and was on holiday with my mum and gran so reading was pretty much the only excitement!

If you're not enjoying it at all pack it in. I am doing this more and more. When I was on the tube 3 hours a day it seemed crazy not to finish everything. Now at home with the baby if I can't get into it I just give up.

greenandpleasant Sun 24-Aug-08 21:12:55

I enjoyed it, but from start to finish. If you're only 1/3 of the way through what is a very long book, best cut your losses and move on! I too used to insist on finishing every book I started but reading time is too precious to waste on a slog.

Evelynsmum Sun 24-Aug-08 21:45:21

I must admit I hated this book (and I usually love genre books).

I think it was all the self indulgent footnotes...

Personally lifes too short to read a book that you're not enjoying and there are plenty of others out there.

Oh I gave up with this. It was immensely tedious. First book I've given up on for years.

mymblemummy Mon 25-Aug-08 00:36:45

I loved this from start to finish.

If it hasn't grabbed you by now, I don't think it is going to, so I'd give it to Oxfam and find something else.

zazen Mon 25-Aug-08 00:40:59

I loved this from start to finish and just couldn't put it down - and it's quite hefty.

I think you'll know by now to dump it if you haven't clicked with it yet.

ravenAK Mon 25-Aug-08 00:42:06

I had to make myself finish it.

I thought there were some great 'set scenes' in it, & the prose style was well sustained if a bit arch - but I didn't really care about the characters or the outcome.

Can't remember much about it, either. wink

I'd do as mymblemummy suggests & pass it on!

zazen Mon 25-Aug-08 00:42:14

X-posts mymblemummy!

harpsichordcarrier Mon 25-Aug-08 00:42:34

I loved it too - but honestly, give it up if it isn't working for you

bellabelly Mon 25-Aug-08 01:01:35

I thought it was fantastic but agree that life is too short to waste on books you don't enjoy.

mymblemummy Mon 25-Aug-08 01:37:49

Zazen...spooky!

vodkamartini Mon 25-Aug-08 22:25:42

I enjoyed most of it. There were sections where I was so bored in, though...but I kept going and I am glad I finished it.
Actually, now I think about it, I was bored during most of it... give it away!! smile

Chianna Wed 27-Aug-08 12:29:38

I personally thought it was really good but I have to agree that reading is for pleasure so if you are not enjoying it I would give up and read something else. If you like the kind of alternative history type books I would recommend The Glass Books of the Dreameaters - a bit random but very good.

lyrasilver Sun 31-Aug-08 19:35:57

I kept hoping it was going to get really good... it should have been a great read and yet, somehow, just never was. Finished it with an air of disapointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now