Talk

Advanced search

Val McDermid - anyone read any of her books?

(27 Posts)
saltire Mon 18-Aug-08 15:00:37

I was in Waterstones today trying to treat myself, but gave up after 10 minutes with the DSes, so just grabbed any book to go with the other 2 I had (£for2 offer!)
I got her book, The Distant Echo. I've never read her books before, but quite like thriller,policetype novels.

LongLiveCuckoo Tue 19-Aug-08 19:02:09

I'm reading one now and quite enjoying it. It's called "Beneath the bleeding". But it requires your total concentration iykwim. You are bombarded with information to take in, and that seems like a tall order from a whodunnit. I should be reading Ulysses, if a book is going to demand that much from me!

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 19-Aug-08 19:03:17

I think she's fab - always look out for her latest offering!

cocolepew Tue 19-Aug-08 19:04:32

I've read her before and enjoyed her. She used to write about a female PI which were a bit light hearted compared to her police ones.

fryalot Tue 19-Aug-08 19:07:17

I've just finished "beneath the bleeding" and it was good.

I've read a few of hers and didn't actually realise that it is her books that are the inspiration for "the wire in the blood" on the telly (of course I may have realised if I'd ever watched it, which I haven't)

The Mancunian PI ones (they all have the word "Blue" in the title iirc but can't remember any actual titles) I read years ago and always enjoyed them.

I like her and don't read her enough

jenpet Tue 19-Aug-08 19:10:43

I've read pretty much all her stuff. I find some of it a bit gruesome, but very well written. I think she gets better - some of the "Lucy Jordan" stuff was a bit..erm..flaky!

slayerette Tue 19-Aug-08 19:10:46

I've read all the Tony Hill (Wire in the Blood) series and really get engrossed in them. Be warned though, they're not for the squeamish - quite graphic in their portrayal of the crimes committed. I didn't watch the tv series; tbh I don't think it really followed the books at all apart from having characters with the same names and jobs in it.

blueshoes Tue 19-Aug-08 20:53:59

They are graphic alright <shudder>

ScottishMummy Tue 19-Aug-08 21:02:59

never read she is she crime like rebus?is she blood in the wire author

elkiedee Tue 19-Aug-08 21:06:28

The Distant Echo is less gory than her Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series. I've been reading her books since her first series - the Lindsay Gordon series about a Scottish lesbian journalist - originally from the library. I was put off by the first standalones and the Hill/Jordan books initially though.

blueshoes Tue 19-Aug-08 21:34:14

Yes, scottishmummy, she is crime of the serial killer variety. I have only read a few of her books including The Mermaids Singing but cannot quite bring myself to read more. In fact, I have completely gone off this genre. Val McDermid and Mo Hayder are the 2 reasons.

ScottishMummy Tue 19-Aug-08 21:51:31

thanks for clarification X

Mummyfor3 Tue 19-Aug-08 21:55:09

I like her books a lot, although a bit disturbing how well she gets into a psychopaths mind hmm... Just read Ian Rankin's last Rebus "Exit Music", brill, highly recommended.
Also Chrisopher Brookmyre, v dark, v funny, a lot very over the top, but so true!
(Sorry, could not stop myself gushing - reading when BF and BF quite a lot grin).

TwoIfBySea Tue 19-Aug-08 23:00:56

I've read the Distant Echo, it is quite a good read. Not really my style but involving none-the-less! If you know St Andrews you can picture the areas described which I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

saltire Wed 20-Aug-08 10:02:54

Well I picked it up quickly, but also
because she mentioned Fife on the back cover and we lived in Fife for 5 years, and know the area quie well.
I haven't started it yet, I started one of the other books I got, may keep her for our holiday

ScottishMummy Wed 20-Aug-08 10:13:32

rebus name checks fife a lot too wink cowdenbeath

saltire Wed 20-Aug-08 10:16:30

I love the Rebus books, I have them all. I took DH into the Oxford Bar when in Edinburgh once. I recognise a lot of the places as well.

ScottishMummy Wed 20-Aug-08 10:21:45

LOL yes Oxford Barwink i know auld reekie VWell. love rebus.am bit of an anorak and have read thenm all

IShaggedInVictorianSqualor Wed 20-Aug-08 10:27:30

I've read loads of Val McDermid's books.
I like them.

ScottishMummy Wed 20-Aug-08 10:28:56

can you recommend me one?do you need to read in sequence to get the jist or are they stand alone

IShaggedInVictorianSqualor Wed 20-Aug-08 10:38:30

Pretty much stand alone.
I have The grave tattoo and The wire in the blood that I can send you ffp if you want them?

ScottishMummy Wed 20-Aug-08 10:42:59

OMG arent you a sweetie.how kindwink i need to read all my existing books first though.trying to declutter
oh so kindwink

slayerette Wed 20-Aug-08 11:36:38

I would disagree - if you want to read the Tony Hill books, you need to read them in order if you are interested in character/plot development. She does develop the characters' story arcs over the series as a whole, so will refer to something in a previous novel and how it is affecting the character in this one, iyswim. The first Tony Hill book is The Mermaids Singing.

<I do hate reading series in the wrong order though so feel free not to succumb to my weirdness!>

elkiedee Thu 21-Aug-08 20:23:43

Yes, I agree with slayerette but I'm also a bit weird about series order.

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 20:28:22

i like them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now