Talk

Advanced search

Notes from an Exhibition...

(62 Posts)
MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 07:39:59

took this to read on my hols as I like Patrick Gale and really liked it- was meant to be reading No Time for Goodbye which is my book group's book for August - really wish it'd been Notes from an Exhibition instead (mind you my last recommendation for book group which was his Friendly Fire didn't go down well with the ladies- tsk)...
I loved the descriptions of painting,colours etc and loved the bit about 'Barbara Hepworth' - coincidentally we came across a sculpture of hers at Snape Maltings...have posted a pic on my profile,or will do in a sec.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 18-Aug-08 07:41:56

I bought this book ages ago - and have just taken it on holiday with me, and brought it back unread. For some reason I just don't want to start it!

Currently reading Sepulchre by Kate Mosse (struggling a bit to be honest) but will put this one on my 'next' pile.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 07:46:58

oh do read it BIWI - is good grin how are you by the way ?

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 10:06:25

meant to say, the ending was a bit abrupt - was expecting a bit more.

AbbeyA Mon 18-Aug-08 10:11:24

I would recommend it-I loved it.

Buff1 Mon 18-Aug-08 10:59:09

Just loved Notes form an Exh - took me a while to get into it but glad I carried on and then couldn't put it down (well I had to of course to feed child ets).

Just read the new Jonathan Coe which I'd highly recommend.

suedonim Mon 18-Aug-08 13:18:18

I was really disappointed by this book, it seemed shallow and trite.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 18-Aug-08 14:50:15

Fine thanks, MAS - just back from fab 3 week holiday so a bit jetlagged and fuzzy. Should be working today, but can't get my brain to work properly so I'm MNing whilst in between loads of washing.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Mon 18-Aug-08 14:52:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 15:03:52

Patrick Gale is very handsome (but gay of course)
love Jonathan Coe too (not sure if he is as handsome,mind)

LurkerOfTheUniverse Mon 18-Aug-08 15:23:13

Patrick Gale was at our library recently

gorgeous, but indeed very gay

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 15:58:47

envy

MrsSprat Mon 18-Aug-08 16:44:17

<small hijack> is the new Jonathan Coe book out in paperback yet? If not any idea when?

BeckyBendyLegs Mon 18-Aug-08 16:56:42

The new JC book is out in paperback. I saw it in Waterstones the other day.

I loved Notes from the Exhibition but I dabble in art myself when I get the chance and I found it such a colourful book - I felt the colours were so vivid (also have synaesthesia which probably helped my enjoyment of it!).

Rubyrubyruby Mon 18-Aug-08 17:37:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 18:54:47

uh,I hadn't read those bits yet...

Buff1 Mon 18-Aug-08 18:57:57

Jonathan Coe isn't dashing hunk I'm afraid...not that we should be superficial blah blah. He writes a cracking good book though - the Rotters Club had me laughing out loud on public transport..

Will embark on further Pstrick Gale books - any suggestions? Could also do with some new authors (but not those troubled childhood type books, I don't have the stomach for those)

BeckyBendyLegs Mon 18-Aug-08 20:53:57

I wouldn't chuck JC off a cliff...

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 21:14:11

Rough Music, A Sweet Obscurity and Little Bits of Baby Buff1

Buff1 Tue 19-Aug-08 11:28:37

Thanks MaryAnn, I'll be on Amazon poste haste!

janeite Tue 19-Aug-08 18:45:40

I read this on holiday (25 pence from charity shop) and quite liked it but I totally agree with Mary Ann Singleton about the ending - I admit I actually checked to see if some pages were missing.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 19-Aug-08 19:02:29

I thought I had more to go as the there were lots of pages but that was all the notes and stuff - still, good book

oi Sun 24-Aug-08 21:22:22

you know I hadn't read any Patrick Gale till wonderful MIL (who ever so kindly stores up books for me as she knows I do a long commute) gave me a pile with this one in it.

I absolutely loved it. We often go to Penzance and I could 'feel' every place he described through his writing. I immediately went out and got Rough Music which I devoured. He's got a very evocative way of writing.

However, I STILL can't get on with the new JC. Don't know why. Just can't get through it.

janeite Sun 24-Aug-08 21:24:32

JC?

oi Sun 24-Aug-08 21:25:58

Jonathan Coe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now