Talk

Advanced search

Fantasy Recommendations

(16 Posts)
Nellybell Mon 11-Aug-08 21:20:15

Hello,
I've just finished reading the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and the sequel and I loved them - the best books I've read in ages. Can someone recommend something similar for my next read? I'm also into Robin Hobb and Trudi Canavan and have read all of theirs. I like fantasy but not the really fantastical sort with dragons and monsters.

lunavix Mon 11-Aug-08 21:22:46

don't know but I am reading the umm i forget what it's called but can't be bothered running upstairs! The priestess series with the white by trudi canavan?

Just finished the umm wizard ones by her with the girl blush i am rubbish with names!

I love terry goodkind but i am very much in the minority

squilly Mon 11-Aug-08 21:37:22

I like Terry Goodkind, but I confess, my heart belongs to Tad Williams. The Dragonbone Chair series and the more modern, funky Otherland series were both excellent.

I also have to say that I rather like Kelley Armstrong, Bitten, Broken, etc. They're a bit light and frothy, but I love them. Vampires, werewolves, witches and everyday life mixed together...rather good in my book. But probably a bit chick-lit'ish if you're a serious reader.

I like Neil Gaiman too. And I'm quite fond of Philip Pullman (putting it mildly).

Right...I'm off to check out Scott Lynch as I've never heard of him.

SoupDragon Mon 11-Aug-08 21:39:17

i've just read the Mage ones by Trudi Canavan. Now on the last one of the Quickening Trilogy by Fiona McIntosh.

cyteen Mon 11-Aug-08 21:44:53

The Ice & Fire books, by George R R Martin. They're extraordinary, especially the first three.

Am currently reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville and quite enjoying it

lunavix Mon 11-Aug-08 21:49:50

quite liked across the nightengale floor too...

MaryMungo Mon 11-Aug-08 21:54:51

The Name of the Wind was very good.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series, starting with The Curse of Chalion was absolutely fantastic.

I also just finished enjoying The Lies of Locke Lamora, and enjoy Robin Hobb, so maybe we have similiar tastes grin

TheLadyofShalott Mon 11-Aug-08 21:56:42

Is Michaelad's DH's book out yet? I've forgotten the title, but I know it's about dragons.
(Where is Michaelad btw? - haven't seen her for ages)

BustyMcGee Mon 11-Aug-08 22:05:01

I just finished the Lies of Locke Lamora too and went on to read the Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie which I did enjoy. Maybe also Karen Miller - Innocent Mage and the sequel?

MaryMungo Mon 11-Aug-08 22:05:39

If you like your fantasy really realistic this book blew my mind for some reason. Had me looking at things funny for weeks....

SoupDragon Mon 11-Aug-08 22:08:43

Thoroughly enjoyed Karen Miller - Innocent Mage/Awakened Mage but found the first in a new series "Empress" a pile of cack.

BustyMcGee Mon 11-Aug-08 22:11:04

Empress was a bit rubbish

SoupDragon Mon 11-Aug-08 22:16:08

Have you tried looking at the books Amazon comes up with as suggestions or the "people who bought this also bought..." bit?

I'm creating myself a wishlist as we speak

squilly Mon 11-Aug-08 22:18:11

I like the Blade Itself. Had forgotten that one. Have just looked at the Tim Powers book. Looks very interesting. I do love these threads. Sorry to butt in with no further ideas....Just enjoying the links

Nellybell Tue 12-Aug-08 11:21:35

Thank you for all the suggestions - there is lots for me to check out now I think DH would like the Tim Powers book, MaryMungo as he is really into his poker.

AnnVan Wed 13-Aug-08 07:33:30

I also loved Locke Lamora. One I've read recently is Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley. FOund it slow going at first but once I got into it, the action was intense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now