Talk

Advanced search

Really mind-blowing books that jolt your worldview

(9 Posts)
solidgoldbrass Sat 02-Aug-08 01:49:46

Books that you carry around with you for weeks just rereading them, books you tell your mates about (and then if you see someone reading the book you rush up and start a conversation with them because you know they won't mind) - books that, when you meet a person and find out that this person has read and liked that book you know you will be friends.

Ok here are some of mine

Robert Heinlein: Time Enough For Love
Easton/Lizt: The Ethical Slut
Paul Breeze While My Guitar Gently Weeps
ANy Christopher Brookmyre (OK that is a bit of a cop out as so many people have read him)
Gwyneth Jones Bold as Love series.

solidgoldbrass Sat 02-Aug-08 01:51:22

And if this thread gets more than one recommendation for Jodi Picault (interesting concepts, godawful writer) The Road Less Travelled, the Da Vinci Code or John Farking Grey's Mars & Venus (and you are talking aout of Uranus mate) I will.. Dunno. Pout, stomp and sneear at you all.

FlossieTCake Sat 02-Aug-08 01:57:01

<flippancy on>
OOh, the Da Vinci Code changed my world view grin. I became at least 150% more depressed about the state of the publishing market and the general level of intelligence in the world since something that bad could sell that many copies.

(Yes I have actually read it and am not basing my opinion on media reports)
</flippancy off>

FlossieTCake Sat 02-Aug-08 01:57:30

Sorry solidgold I'll try and post a serious answer when it isn't 2am

S1ur Sat 02-Aug-08 02:21:14

<puts depressed hat on, all floppy and askance>

A sunday at the pool in Kilgali Though if saw someone reading it, I'd more likely approached their haunted eyes and nod sympathetically.

I have nice ones. I'll try and do better

<mooches off under heavy hat>

FlossieTCake Sat 02-Aug-08 02:25:58

Incidentally according to this week's Bookseller The Road Less Travelled is one of only a handful of titles never to be out of the top 5,000 since Nielsen started publishing book charts. Sorry.

Oh dear, I really shouldn't be posting on this thread....

Do they have to be sad life-changing books?

solidgoldbrass Sat 02-Aug-08 07:22:17

Noo, not in the least. Hmm, slur, if it's all the same to you I think I might not follow your recommendation there.

Walkthedinosaur Sat 02-Aug-08 07:47:20

Brian Keenan - An Evil Cradling, just an amazing book about an amazing man. I read that and then I count my blessings.

TotalChaos Sat 02-Aug-08 20:55:07

No Logo by Naomi Wolf.

The Night Watch by Sergei Lutyanenko

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now