Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone please recommend some books about motherhood and life with toddlers?

(14 Posts)
Campaspe Tue 29-Jul-08 15:15:31

Would love to read some books/novels that reflect my day to day experiences of bringing up a toddler! Would be great if anyone can recommend titles I might enjoy; I like chick-lit and more serious reads, so any guidance welcome. Thanks

Kbear Tue 29-Jul-08 17:38:27

Best Friend's guide to motherhood - I think it's called that. There are a series. guide to toddlers etc. Very funny. have a look on Amazon.

Elasticwoman Tue 29-Jul-08 17:43:27

The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass. Beware, mother comes to sticky end, nauseatingly sticky. Toddler stays tiny for quite a while though.

moondog Tue 29-Jul-08 17:47:01

lol at EW.
I loved Best Friend's Guides when Iwas pg/had ababy.
Vicky Iovine is the author.

MandMand Tue 29-Jul-08 18:04:05

I recently read "Arlington Place" by Rachel Cusk, which tells the story of one day from the perspective of several different mothers all living in the same area, whose lives overlap. I think its quite truthful about the trials and tribulations of looking after toddlers and young children and trying to maintain a marriage and career. She's also written a non-fiction book called "A Life's Work" which covers similar ground.

Elasticwoman Tue 29-Jul-08 22:19:05

Margaret Drabble - The Millstone. Motherhood but not toddlerdom, so half your requirement.

weeindie Tue 29-Jul-08 22:21:40

Hello - not a frequent poster on mumsnet - only a few threads - but MUST MUST MUST recommend Rachel Cusk's - A life's Work - On becoming a Mother. Just genius!

bitsnbobs Wed 30-Jul-08 19:06:12

Have just read the Wife In The North book which was good and also liked The Yummy Mummies Survival Guide.

Cocodrillo Wed 30-Jul-08 20:53:31

I can recommend a few, but they're personal accounts, rather than novels.

Anne Enright (the booker prize winner) has written Making Babies: Stumbling into Motherhood

Stephanie Calman's written Confessions of a Bad Mother, which is funny.

Here's another light-hearted read

Cocodrillo Wed 30-Jul-08 20:56:22

oh, and this:

www.amazon.co.uk/What-Mothers-Do-Especially-Nothing/dp/0749926201/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=121 7447693&sr=1-1

blueskythinker Wed 30-Jul-08 21:00:07

I second the Best Friend's Guide to Toddlers by Vicki Iovine. Once you read it you start to have some sympathy for your little munchkin.

It is also very funny.

LuLuBai Wed 30-Jul-08 21:13:17

Lucy Cavendish has written a few books about motherhood. I read the Invisible Woman which was reasonably entertaining. Also read The Rise and Fall of a Yummy Mummy which struck a chord - but really about babydom rather than toddlerdom. Kate Long has written a few about family relationships and motherhood in various guises - all very good but not specifically about toddlers.

Cocodrillo Wed 30-Jul-08 21:32:18

This novel's about young families

Little Children

FlossieTCake Thu 31-Jul-08 10:28:11

The Naomi Stadlen book is brilliant.

There was some very heated discussion on MN about Arlington Park earlier in the year... personally I found it infuriating.

Helen Simpson writes fantastic short stories about motherhood - plenty of toddlers in them. Hey Yeah Right Get A Life and Dear George were both fantastic; haven't read Constitutional yet but it got very good reviews.

I read Jennifer Weiner's Little Earthquakes a few weeks ago, which was lovely - about pregnancy and babies rather than toddlers, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now