Talk

Advanced search

What next ? Hemingway or EM Forster ?

(16 Posts)
TheMagnificent7 Sat 26-Jul-08 23:33:12

I have complete sets of Hemingway and Forster novels and fancy something from either collection next. I've only read The Old Man And The Sea.

What one would you choose first ?

MrsTiddles Sun 27-Jul-08 09:24:06

personally if I had the complete set of each, I'd read all books by one writer and then all by the other.

MogTheForgetfulCat Sun 27-Jul-08 21:07:33

Forster - Maurice or Howards End. Both fab! Howards End more typically Forsterian, if I can say that without sounding like a total arse. No? Oh, well...

MsPontipine Sun 27-Jul-08 21:21:05

I loved Where Angels Fear To Tread. Definately recommend that.

MegBusset Sun 27-Jul-08 23:00:02

I love For Whom The Bell Tolls.

tiredlady Sun 27-Jul-08 23:07:52

I second Maurice.
Twas my comfort read in college.

harpomarx Sun 27-Jul-08 23:15:56

Howards End or Room with A View both absorbing reads. Recently read The Longest Journey, which I found pretty tedious, tbh.

Have read A Farewell to Arms, I think, a long time ago but otherwise not very familiar with Hemingway.

TheMagnificent7 Mon 28-Jul-08 09:23:19

Thanks all. I quite fancied Passage to India but nobody mentioned it. Howard's End I think it should be then

harpomarx Mon 28-Jul-08 21:01:49

Passage to India great too! I always get that mixed up with Room with a View, don't know why I didn't mention it. Sure you will storm through Howard's End, happy reading.

Fatbag Mon 28-Jul-08 21:24:51

Def. Forster. Passage to India was incredible - I reread it every few years, since reading it at A-level. Also Room with a View, Howards End and Where Angels... Never managed to read Hemmingway, should really have a go.

Lucifera Tue 29-Jul-08 14:46:36

I love Forster (haven't read Hemingway since I was young i.e. 30 years ago), always plenty of food for thought, some oddities. The Longest Journey prob my favourite! Hope you enjoy all of both.

TheMagnificent7 Tue 29-Jul-08 17:45:01

I've got both the collections from the Folio Society, just never read them. It's a treat opening a great book for the first time anyway, but these are all hardback, quarter bound in cloth, with all of the original text. I'm in bookworm Shangri-la smile

harpomarx Tue 29-Jul-08 20:16:28

have you started one yet, mag7?

Lucifera, I'm interested that you like The Longest Journey. I really couldn't get into it, found the characters so difficult to empathise with or feel anything for really.

Lucifera Wed 30-Jul-08 10:10:04

Harpo (sorry, not trying to hijack thread), I really enjoyed how completely awful Mrs Failing is, and Agnes's lack of any self-knowledge, and Herbert's ghastliness! and the amazing plot twist towards the end - melodramatic or what! But also interesting I think seeing EMF wanting very much to write about love between men, and not quite being able to (as you will know, Maurice was only published posthumously)

harpomarx Wed 30-Jul-08 22:45:08

damn, Lucifera!

I think I actually gave up reading this before the end. And I hardly ever do that. I even gave the book away to a charity shop and I hardly ever do that either. And now you tell me there was an amazing plot twist towards the end... I am wondering if I should try and find it again.

haven't read Maurice yet, would like to.

Lucifera Thu 31-Jul-08 12:39:38

Harpo, perhaps I have exaggerated the amazingness of it .... but it is pretty dramatic, particularly in the social context of the novel. Heh heh - teasing now - you'll have to borrow it from the library and finish it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now