Talk

Advanced search

A Prayer For Owen Meany

(23 Posts)
MrsMuddle Thu 24-Jul-08 23:03:38

Having just posted about a crap holiday read (One Good Turn), thought I'd add balance by saying that I absolutely loved this book.

Even though I sort of knew what the end would be, I was still stunned when it actually happened. I couldn't put this book down, and I was disappointed to finish it.

It's very American, so it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

mazzystar Thu 24-Jul-08 23:05:17

i read it a long time ago and cried and cried and laughed a lvt and loved it

but I liked one good turn too

pointydog Thu 24-Jul-08 23:06:28

read it years and years ago. I know I did like it, but a bit too long.

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Thu 24-Jul-08 23:07:01

I liked one good turn, and years ago I read a prayer for OM and although each page was easy to read, I didn't feel propelled towards the end of the book...... so I didn't love it the way everybody else seemed to.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Thu 24-Jul-08 23:07:33

It is a great book, read it 18 years ago and still remember it.

Like all John Irving books, it has a bit in the middle where he indulges in his two loves, wrestling and Germany, at this point it gets a bit dull, but it is worth the perseverance.

nooka Thu 24-Jul-08 23:10:56

Fabulous book. I have read it two or three times. I love John Irving

1dilemma Thu 24-Jul-08 23:15:43

I read it about the same time as Bree at what was a very special and emotional time for me. I thought it was fab, it is probably my favourite book no doubt partly due to the other stuff going on. I picked it up a few years ago to read again and it bought tears to my eyes on the first page so I have only read it once.
I still want to read it again but would have to know I have the time to read it from cover to cover!

I don't find him quite the same anymore though sad

ErnestTheBavarian Thu 24-Jul-08 23:20:24

loved it

nooka Thu 24-Jul-08 23:20:27

Have you read Until I Find You? I thought it was his best for a long time - much more emotional resonance that A Widow for One Year or the Fourth Hand (I did enjoy Son of the Circus, but more for the humour). Cider House Rules left me a bit cold too.

1dilemma Thu 24-Jul-08 23:25:24

oh no is it new? (I really struggled with widow and fourth hand, I think it took me months to even bother reading the last few pages of widow for one year!

nooka Fri 25-Jul-08 03:25:28

You should find it in paperback now, I think it was published a year or two ago. I thought WFOY and the Fourth Hand were not very engaging and was very disappointed. They are still on my bookshelf, but I haven't reread them (very rare for me). I found Until I Find You very moving and really thought provoking. I saw an interview with him that suggested it was semi autobiographic, which added to my interest too. I'd recommend it. I think it's not far behind Owen Meany in my favourite John Irving novels list

1dilemma Fri 25-Jul-08 10:26:58

WIll look for it this weekend thanks smile
I resolved to read 12 books just for myself this year
grand total so far

0!

thelittlestbadger Fri 25-Jul-08 10:31:48

I also loved Until I find you (and Owen Meany obviously!) Again not impressed by WFOY but absolutely love love love Hotel New Hampshire which is probably my favourite. Does that mean I'm a bit odd?

filthymindedvixen Fri 25-Jul-08 10:56:05

Not read any Irving until this book - but I am certainly going to read more now. I found the book a bit of a slow burner and then got totally sucked in and felt qyite bereft when I had finished it. I ACTUALLY WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT LIKE THIS grin

lilibet Fri 25-Jul-08 10:59:24

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!

Has anyone seen the film 'apatation' - it's on this Sunday on either channel 4 or 5 - it's very loosley based on and is called Simon Birch.

luckywinner Fri 25-Jul-08 10:59:37

Have you read the World According to Garp? That's an epic although I think most of his books are in terms of how far the characters come. I am a huge John Irving fan and cried at the end of Owen Meany. Read it a long time ago, am going to dig it out again. Some people I've recommended it too hated it though.

MrsMuddle Fri 25-Jul-08 11:19:47

Not read World According To Garp yet. I have it on order from the library.

lilibet - didn't know there was a film adaptation, but I don't think I'll watch it. I know in my head exactly what Owen looked like, and I think I'd be disappointed if the actor playing him DIDN'T LOOK AND SOUND EXACTLY LIKE HIM.

popsycal Fri 25-Jul-08 11:36:06

my favourite book i think
read it at least once a year

JudgeNutmeg Fri 25-Jul-08 11:41:05

I loved that book. I have Cider House Rules on my iPod at the moment and I listen to an hour everytime I go to the gym.

nooka Fri 25-Jul-08 13:08:00

Hotel New Hampshire and Garp are also excellent. John Irving is the only author that both dh and I enjoy, so it's also good to have that shared experience. I don't think his later books have that much about Germany in them, or quite so much wrestling (obviously it features!)...

hellish Fri 25-Jul-08 13:10:22

Don't forget the bears, there's usually a bear reference somewhere in the books.

Hotel new Hampshie is my all time fave, couldn't get into Owen Meany - may try again after this thread.

hellish Fri 25-Jul-08 13:10:42

Sorry, Hotel New Hampshire

lilibet Fri 25-Jul-08 13:29:02

Mrs M - it's very loose, which is why it doesn't have his name in the title.

I can't bring myself to watch it but I very rarely like film adaptations of favourite books

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now