Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HISTORICAL DETECTION

(16 Posts)
tycerrig Mon 21-Jul-08 14:16:52

i'm really loving Caleb Carr, CJ Sansom, Wesley Stace, Michael Faber (The crimson petal and the white), Boris Akunim at the moment, can somebody please recommend some similar authors.

SilentTerror Mon 21-Jul-08 19:45:24

Abit more recent,but I love
Philip Kerr-Berlin Noir trilogy
Edward Marston's railway detective series,set in Victorian age.
Jacqueline Winspear-post first world war
Catriona MacPhereson,again,1920's
Andrew Taylor,has a series set in 1950's,plus The American Boy,a Georgian thriller and Bleeding Heart Square,set in 1930's
David Dickinson,Barbara Cleverly,Barbara Nadell,David Roberts,again,all good historical thrillers.

tycerrig Mon 21-Jul-08 21:08:42

Fantastic, thanks very much

policywonk Mon 21-Jul-08 21:14:35

Iain Pearson, An Instance of the Fingerpost v. good - Civil War-era murder story set in Oxford (or was it Cambridge?)

tycerrig Mon 21-Jul-08 21:42:19

I actually own this book but always reject it in favour of something else, will start tomorrow.

Heated Mon 21-Jul-08 21:59:51

Not sure if they're of the same ilk as the ones you've mentioned but Anne Perry & Elizabeth Peters come to mind - definitely from a bygone age

RustyBear Mon 21-Jul-08 22:02:55

Ellis Peters' Cadfael books - the books are much better than the TV series, despite Derek Jacobi.

girlandboy Mon 21-Jul-08 22:03:25

Try this www.erl.vic.gov.au/readers/who.htm

Hope the link works

girlandboy Mon 21-Jul-08 22:04:55

I work in a library and we always have a "Who writes like" book on the counter. Very useful - try your library.

TotalChaos Mon 21-Jul-08 22:07:12

Silent Terror - do you know that Philip Kerr has written 2 follows up to Berlin Noir - The One from the Other, and A Quiet Flame?

Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series (set in Ancient Rome)

Claude Izner - set in turn of century france

Frank Tallis's Vienna Blood series - set in 1890s Vienna

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith set in Stalinist Russia

SilentTerror Mon 21-Jul-08 22:12:50

Total,yes have read them both!
I love this series,only read Berlin Noir last year after seeing it on my recommendations on Amazon,so was delighted to read two follow ups after so long since Berlin Noir was written!
Also read Zoo Station and Silesian Station by David Downing recently,also set in eve of war Berlin.
Actually,Amazon an endless source of further rading for me as I always follow up their recommendations and 'orher buyers bought' features.

FlossieTCake Tue 22-Jul-08 01:12:21

More recent (set early 20C, I think, though I am SO bad at chronology....):

Christine Falls - Benjamin Black - brilliant

Charles Palliser - The Unburied was genius. Have The Quincunx on my shelf but that's a bit more of a doorstop...

janeite Thu 24-Jul-08 00:00:02

"The American Boy" is very good indeed.

There's also a series set in Vienna, featuring a student of Freud called Max Libermann - they are very good; sort of simmering with sexual tension and repression! I can't remember the order they go in but one of them is called "Vienna Blood".

janeite Thu 24-Jul-08 00:00:48

Sorry TotalChaos - just seen that you've already recommended them in a far less waffly way!

EachPeachPearMum Thu 24-Jul-08 13:41:17

Janeite - It was Caleb Carr 'The Alienist' that was the huge book I was trying to remember for your thread!!!!

janeite Thu 24-Jul-08 14:15:33

Thank you! Will have another Google.

I really need to buy Bleeding Heart Square too. Has anybody read it yet and if so, is it as good as "The American Boy"? I read one of his other novels and didn't like it but I'm hoping this new one will be as well written as "The American Boy" rather than the homicide detective cliched silliness, low on plot but large on that the other one was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now