(13 Posts)
zippitippitoes Tue 15-Jul-08 13:07:15

....would you read it

purpleduck Tue 15-Jul-08 13:13:14

tell me more....
<<link?>>

zippitippitoes Tue 15-Jul-08 13:16:05

actualling falling man

i was going to buy it showed it to bf inb waterstones and he seemed to be suggesting that it was rather poor taste to read it or in some way not right i didnt pursue it yesterday really because i was pondering

purpleduck Tue 15-Jul-08 13:26:51

Hmm..
I see why you are pondering.

Part of me was repulsed, but the other part curious.

I seriously don't know.

I will ponder as well.
wink

MrsTiddles Tue 15-Jul-08 18:21:15

If its Don Delilo then its not going to be trash fiction, but more modern literature. But I find DD to be a bit, erm, of a "boys" writer, like Martin Amis so I steer away from him.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 15-Jul-08 18:24:49

I will no doubt read it, I quite like DD. Well, I think I liked one of his but not another.

FlossieTCake Tue 15-Jul-08 23:50:38

There was an extract in the Grauniad when it was first published in HB.

I just went looking for the link but found John Crace's Digested Read instead...

FlossieTCake Tue 15-Jul-08 23:55:04

I did intend to read it, incidentally, as I found the extract really interesting, but am less sure now after reading a few hostile reviews.

ninedragons Wed 16-Jul-08 04:05:46

I would highly recommend Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close as a sensitive, absorbing take on Sept 11.

I don't think it's in poor taste to buy or read books about Sept 11. God knows people read enough novels set in WW2 Europe. Indeed didn't The Night Watch win the Orange Prize or something?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 16-Jul-08 07:49:12

I don't really get why or how it could be in bad taste, either.

hockeypuck Wed 16-Jul-08 07:52:47

Thicky alert - is it a novel about the falling man?

I saw a documentary about the falling man a couple of years ago on tv where they tried to find who it was - but this is different right?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 16-Jul-08 09:09:55

This is different, it's a novel set in NYC after 9/11, and the Falling Man of the title (iirc) is an artist doing art related to 9/11.

hockeypuck Wed 16-Jul-08 11:36:40

Thanks for that NQC - might look into that book. I don't think it's distasteful to make novels/films of 9/11. It was an important time in recent years that had an impact on everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now